shooting the new optima today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sagebrush

Reaction score
went out to the range today to see how the Optima would pan out. before even shooting it i took some steel wool and ran it though the bore to clean it up some.
I was using T7 fffg started out with 90 grs with H-xtp mag just to sight it in(cheap bullets) for this.
tried some Barnes tmz 290 grains and nosler .458 BT's got it so I could hit out to 200 yards with 110 grs T7 and the nosler .458's
just when I was going to pack it up to go home I saw a squirrel out at the 200 yrd berm next to my target. I said if I can load this up before he leaves then I will take a shot at him. so in goes the nosler and T7.

so today I got my first kill with my new Optima even thou it was a squirrel but one at 200 yrds to say the least. the scope on the rifle is the omega 1.65x5 w/BDC I had to use the 3rd circle and I could barely see him at this distance.

Wow Sagebrush!

A squirrel at 200 yards is pretty good shootin'. Congrats.

That's some fine shooting there. I see Cabela's have a Optima and an Accura V1 on sale. I noticed the Optima has the quick release breech plug. So maybe I might have to do some thinking on that.

I paid $329 for this rifle camo SS/w thumbhole. hey thanks for the congrats.

Great Shooting! Now for the field mouse at 100 yards!

Our walmart has them too, though I will probably never buy one there. I was looking at bow stuff the other day and these two yahoos were taking the muzzy gun rack apart to fix it somehow. One guy stacked ALL of the muzzleloaders in the other guys arms, he had at least 6 muzzys in his arms, roughly $1800 worth. I told them that they were killing me stacking them that way, cause I hate scratches on new stuff. He just shrugged. You should have seen all the scratches on those guns from that thin metal rack that they use. Oh well, maybe no one will buy them til end of the season sales and I'll get a good price on that scratched up Z5 Omega.

I would hope that the muzzys on the display rack are for display only! Hopefully they go into the warehouse and grab a new one in a box. With the QRBP it would be easy to get all the bubble gum wrappers out of the barrel that I am sure customers shove down there!

Latest posts

Back