Shopping around for a .40 or .45 Semiauto Pistol - any thoughts?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono1

Reaction score
Just looking for some opinions on semi autos in this caliber that any one has direct experience with.

I've been looking at CZ, S&W, Sig, Springfield, Ruger brands.

My budget is $400 to $600.

I am not opposed to buying used when in good condition. Would allow me to buy a nicer gun for the same money.

Intended use is home/personal protection. Not looking for a concealed carry weapon so a full sized model is fine. I'm more interested in accuracy, reliability, nice trigger.

Thanks,
Jono

I have shot the Springfield quite a bit in 9mm and absolutely loved it. I also liked the safety feature in the back of the grip too.

:D

I know you didn't mention this one but I carry a GLOCK 23, 40 CAL, for work and I think its the cats A$$ :!: :!: Made well and I find no problems in shooting them. It's easy to break down and clean. Spring, barrel, slide and grip. Thats it. Takes 20 mins to clean. IMHO, it's a good hand gun...........

Ray..... ;)

:D

I've read different info on the trigger pull and this is what I find. Factory standard around 5.6#'s.....With modified connection, increased to 7.9#'s and as low as 4.5#s. Then I read that they are around 7.5#'s. Sorry I can't help you any better with that.

Ray

No matter how you slice it, better than my SW40VE!

That sucker is heavy around 10# or so.

I will add the Glock to my list. : - )

Jono

First choice - Kimber 1911...used.

Second choice - Tsarus PT-99....it rules.

If you are serious about basic home protection....cut your budget in half and buy a new Mossberg 500 12 gauge pump. It is about the best thing out there for home protection hands down. Studies have shown that just the sound of that pump action scares the hell out of bad guys.

Hard to beat a Glock 27, which is in your price range. Factory pull is around 5.5lb, with no safety to deal with. You can get a 3.5lb connector if you want a lighter pull which is not needed IMO unless your shooting competition. Plain and simple design and as Ray mentioned Glocks are carried by many Law Enforement Officers.

Whats your intended purpose for? Whatever it's for there is a Glock model that will suit your needs.

You might find a used Sig 229 in your price range. 8)

Smith & Wesson M&P is a really nice semi. Got one in the compact and it goes about everywhere I go. Would stay away from S&W sigma,triggers are horrible. Trigger on the M&P is way better. Also like the Ruger SR-9 and SR-40, looks like a lot of pistol for the price.

Find a good used Sig P229, you'll never look back. It would probably be on the high side of your budget, but it will be worth it. Get a .40 & then later you can add a .357 Sig barrel to your arsenal if you really want to heat things up!

I would have to disagree - A Kimber does beat a Glock for general quality of workmanship and raw sexiness.

Just a humble opinion of someone who may be a firearm collector and general part time gunsmith who may very well own over 200 firearms.

I have the original polymer frame pistol Glock likes to claim they are but the H&K P9s is :D I have it in 45cal it was made in the 70s and its never failed me but lets face it most companys now can make a good auto loader I had a taurus 24/7 9mm a few years back and it was a nice gun.

Beretta Cougar for a metal framed gun, all the calibers stated. The Stoeger company has taken over production of the guns and added a rail to the 8045 model, other than a lower price, same gun / new production.
If you like the polymer framed guns the Beretta PX4 series can take care of your wants in the stated calibers.
All of the aforementioned guns use a rotating barrel lock up that smooths out recoil and overcomes some other problematic aspects of the Browning style of auto-feeding handgun engineering.

Hey guys, thanks a lot for all the input. Since I posted this, I got interested in 1991 and picked up two - a Rock Island M1911 TAC and a Kimber Ultra II TLE LG.

Love 'em both but the Rock struggles with the Winchester HPs I've been buying. Rock Island said they would do a "tune" for $80 that included some reshaping of the feed ramp but "no guarantees". Shoots hardballs reliably and is an accurate gun. Plus the price is right. Hard to buy a new 1911 for $450.

The Kimber is very nice. The first two clips I ran through it, I had a couple hang ups with the HPs rounds on the ramp but more go than no. I will have to keep shooting them to see where this ends up.

I'm done buying for right now but next round (late this year/early next) I'm thinking about a full size Kimber Custom. Also looking to go in a different direction with models like M&P, Glock, xD, etc.

Shooting .45s is expensive! any advice on cheap source for factory ammo? how bout the best way to go for reloading?

Jono

I just got a smith sd40. It shoots well good trigger and so far has worked flawlessly.

Thank you Bubba!

As a follow up to my comments about hollow points and the Rock Island gun....I tried some Hornady Criticals in there and worked great. They cycled nicely in my kimber too.

I've purchased some reloading gear from Hornady and they are giving away bullets so I will get the chance to run a lot of them through both guns before betting my life on them.

Will try the 230 XTPs too and consider them for hunting. Anyone have experience with Hornady XTPs?

Jono

I am shooting 200 grain xtp's in my smith. I reload them. They shoot very well and cycle flawlessly. I can not say how they work for the intended use because I have not shot anything but paper. I also bought a box of 180 grain lead round nose from velocity bullets. I shoot a lot more of them getting used to the gun.

Latest posts

Back