Short barrel rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junkman

Reaction score
For some odd reason I am liking my short guns more and more.And I am constantly looking for more victim to take the saw to.If you have any pictures please post or heck just a description will do.

what do you mean by "short barrel"? a "short barrel" for my shooting is 28". the one thing a longer barrel is good for is its longer iron sights plane. other than that, i do believe that a 24" barrel is, or can be, as accurate as a 44" barrel. and short length rifles are good for the bush country hunting (nor'east). and of course, as our country pioneered the western plains, a short gun is just easier to carry, although a larger caliber was needed to down bigger game at longer distances.

My Idea of short is 20 inches or less.I have an old Traditions Deer Hunter .50 cal That from breach plug to the end of the barrel is 13.5 inches.I also have a Knight Disc that is a hand cannon with a 12 inch barrel.Both of them are great for the thick woods that I hunt.Where a long shot is 50 yards.The Traditions has the rear sight from a Marlin .22 and I moved the original front sight as close as I could to the end of the barrel.My Knight hand cannon wears a Bushnell 2-6 power hand gun scope.I don't know why but for some reason I really like short muzzle loaders.

to each their own - go for it and whack away! :mrgreen:

I really like the stubby rifle for tracking where a quick short range shot may be required.I wanted a muzzle loading hand gun but could not justify to the boss(wife)Why I needed to drop the cash on one.So I picked a very use Knight Disc for $75.00 and started cutting until I had a handgun.The Traditions was my very first muzzle loader that I purchased when I was 16(now 43).Over the years It has seen some changes.Swapped out the nipple so I could use the hotter German musket caps.Changed the rear sight to the adjustable Marlin which also move it back about 3 inches.When the cast white metal(junk) trigger snapped off. I took a piece of flat steel and carved out a new trigger with a file.One day I target shooting in the woods where I hunt.Set up a few targets in various locations.At one location in particular I kept hitting a tree branch with my barrel.So when I got home I guestimated where I wanted the end of the barrel and out came the hacksaw and files.Cut it off,trued it up with a file,used a chamfer bit and emery cloth to recrown the barrel,cut a new dove tail for the front sight with triangle file.I also move the thimble for the ramrod.So all my modifications have a purpose or were needed.And it was a lot of fun along the way.Not to mention the satisfaction of doing the work myself and making it more functional for my purposes.And I think it just looks really cool too.

nothing like good ol' yankee ingenuity that gets the job done. :yeah:

A Mares leg muzzle loader! Here's my favorite,although it is a center fire.

Attachments

• mcqueen.jpg
    mcqueen.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,191
That last time I looked I had three carbines in traditional rifles and several inline rifles. The short traditional rifles, while handy at short range shooting, i found they are truly a short range weapon. I tried a lot of different projectiles as two of them are a 1-32 twist. They will shoot round ball with a small charge. And they shoot a light sabot/bullet. But I have yet to find them a conical bullet they like. Without pulling them out, one is a Stalker Carbine and the other a Tracker Carbine. (traditional rifles)

not exactly a rifled carbine - the super short smooth barrelled 18th century version of today's jihadist "RPG" ... :mrgreen:

CQDTz9h.png

3oho4JF.png

PYwAVQH.png

2P3DGj9.png

ooZtEF8.png

fSEfdSU.png

nhwLQV1.png

Vdm0OAg.png

aDgSiFl.png

Holy smokes, that is awesome! I've never seen that, a hand cannon of some sort.
The look of enjoyment on the shooters face says it all.

I only use them for short range work 50 yards or less.I practice at 50 and 25 yards.Good thing is the places that I hunt you can't shoot more than 50 yards.

Heres a Investarms Hawken that had a bulged barrel when I got it, cut it off right at end of bulge and re crowned barrel, has a bit of the bulge left which acts like a QLA.. shoots big conicals decent out to 50 yds, maybe 2-2.5 in. w/open sights..gun is 33.5 in. total length.

The next one is a T/C Renegade that was a .50 cal. that had a badly pitted barrel that I cut and recrowned then sent to Bobby Hoyt and had him ream it to .54 cal with a twist for huge conicals.. it shoots the big Bull Shop 535 gr conicals into about 1.5 in. at 50 yds.. it has a set of Knight Mountaineer sights on it which are awesome at short range in the woods.. gun is approx. 35 in. total length..

Also have a T/C Black Diamond pistol I made with a 12.5 in. barrel that's very accurate with 240-300 xtps;;
had 2 Knight Black Knights .50 that I chopped down to 16 in. barrels, killed 8 deer with one and my stepdaughter has killed 3 with the other one I gave her.. I gave the one I killed the 8 deer with to a guy who didn't have a muzzleloader or cash to buy one.
I LOVE SHORT BARRELED GUNS

Attachments

• IMG_0326.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,119
  • IMG_0327.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,114
I used to have a traditions Buckskinner carbine. 21 inch barrel with a laminate stock.
That was a good treestand gun.
I sold it to fund the purchase of two sidelock pistols.
Right now I have two Traditions deerhunter rifles. 24 inch barrels.
One of them is a pretty rare 45 caliber.

If i hunted from a Tree stand in tight quarters I would be HAPPY with a Shorter Rifle

P.S. Congrats on the Big Doe :lewis:

I bought a .50 cal White Mountain Carbine off a guy with a 1-20'' twist last winter. Almost seems like a toy as small and light as it is. I have not fired it yet. I really like how it handles and how it shoulders. Thinking about getting some 600+ grainers to shoot out of it. I'm thinking it will be a 50 yd and under gun. I would like take it down to South Carolina and shoot some hogs. That would be fun.

Holy smokes, that is awesome! I've never seen that, a hand cannon of some sort.
The look of enjoyment on the shooters face says it all.
You mistake joy for smashing the jewels and wishing he hadn't pulled the trigger, it would have been a gnashing of teeth but they were wood (old school) so back to wood shop and no more guns requiring hard balls !

Back