Short barrels

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't want a break action at all. I want to use an old knight plunger style. That's just what I like. In fact, I've never owned a break action muzzleloader. Not saying I wouldn't try one.

One other factor that hasn't been mentioned is the type of action. An 18-20 inch barrel break action or percussion is noticeable shorter overall than a bolt or plunger action gun. For that reason, I like break actions a lot more than I used to.
Precisely why I love the Omaha platform. No unnecessary length. My X7s are 37.5” total length.

Precisely why I love the Omaha platform. No unnecessary length. My X7s are 37.5” total length.
Sounds like responses are primarily for fast twist MLs What about my 1-56 to 1-60 Rate of twist patch and ball blk pwdr UH rifles? The effect on them, I'd love to shorten some a little. As I get older the guns get heavier and kick harder

Sounds like responses are primarily for fast twist MLs What about my 1-56 to 1-60 Rate of twist patch and ball blk pwdr UH rifles? The effect on them, I'd love to shorten some a little. As I get older the guns get heavier and kick harder
I cant think of a reason why they would suffer from shortening. Although ive only shot round balls from a pistol. They were unpatched and the barrel is 7.5” and 1:20” twist. Super accurate to 40-50yards.

Yeah you're going to lose velocity but at normal hunting ranges (<100 yards) ain't no deer going to know the difference. I killed a couple deer with a 21" GM barrel on a Renegade stock similar to the CVA pictured above. I just might hunt with a 16.5" cut down Encore barrel this year.

Yo there were many of Underhammer rifles made using carbine barrels. I know they made some 25" 21 or 20" like those Buggy models. Think about this, how many young boy eased out deer hunting with their old single shot .410 with a slug. Slug is 2.5" shell using a 1/5 oz lead that weights around 90-100 gr makes 450 lbs KE est. at the muzzle. I killed 3 tick toters when i was young out to 50 yards with it. Now you hear all about you can't kill one unless your bullet is getting a thousand lbs KE . Some folks be sheeple n water down stream form the cow herd crossing the river too !

I like my Optima V2 Pistol\carbine (addition of AR 15 stock) I had lying around . I shoot to 200 yds with a
2x7 Leupold and yup it's handy became my favorite woods/tree gun ! It is ugly but does the job in grand style ! You should try one for up to that yardage on a stationary target money well spent 50 cal /45/40 with sabots
where did you get that pistol grip?

where did you get that pistol grip?
Farrel Industries (I THINK) someone will be chiming in as I'm not sure .It is an adapter that lets you use a AR type stock . It is a wonderful addition for me as my pistol skill is marginal past 25 yds while with the AR adapter I can shoot targets @200 yds especially like my home rolled 40 cal Accurate mold in a 50x40 Harvester Blue)sabot/the black Harvester 50x40 with my 45 cal unlubed TC maxi another reach out and touch someone combo both
with pure lead /Ed

My go to for tree stand, small shooting house, or just roaming the woods is a CVA Tracker 50 with a 22" barrel. Good to 100 yds.

I’m a fan of shorter barrels on rifles, and after reading through this thread, I’m thinking it would be pretty cool to shorten on of my MK85’s to about 20”.

I still have my CVA V2 pistol for sale or trade if anyone wants to put an adapter on it and use an AR stock on it. Looks pretty cool.

Dang! These threads just keep coming to the top and making me have impure thoughts. Now I’m thinking about having one of my Hawkens cut down to carbine length.

Dang! These threads just keep coming to the top and making me have impure thoughts. Now I’m thinking about having one of my Hawkens cut down to carbine length.
Like this? I brought the barrel to a machine shop. They cut 7 inches off the end, recrowned it to 11 degrees, cut 2 dovetail slots, one for the front sight and one for the ramrod thimble for a cost of about $ 150.00.
Now it's a cool little carbine with a 19 inch barrel. It weighs just a bit over 5 pounds.20230118_112134.jpg

Like this? I brought the barrel to a machine shop. They cut 7 inches off the end, recrowned it to 11 degrees, cut 2 dovetail slots, one for the front sight and one for the ramrod thimble for a cost of about $ 150.00.
Now it's a cool little carbine with a 19 inch barrel. It weighs just a bit over 5 pounds.View attachment 34044
Yes sir! It was your picture that gave me the idea.

Don't hack a TC ,just get one of those 1-28 twist CVA pistol /carbine 50 . Talk about handi to 200 yds ,50 x45/50x40 with Harvester sabots and a serious full bore 50cal (think Accurate 50 I eye mold) @ 150 yds no problem . And new a lot cheaper than your stock TC and then paying to alter the barrel probable 1-48 twist to boot!/Ed

Latest posts

Back