Short black sabot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tndeer

Reaction score
I'm curious, a lot of people are using the short black sabot with 250 gr bullets. Is the MMP or Harvester short black sabots giving better accuracy than the supplied sabots that come with the 250 Hornady or T/C bullets? I know in tighter T/C barrels, I had to use the HHP 24 sabots to get them to go down the barrel. thanks

The Short Black Harvester is what some of us have been talking about, using it with a Shock Wave or SST 250gr in a Triumph I have since tried it with my Omega on sept. the 8th I shot 2 groups back to back that measured .8 out side to out side minus the .450 dia of the bullet, so I guess that it works with the Omega too. I tried them with the Gold Dot and XTP 250 but the Crush Rib worked best with them, of course this was with Black Horn 209 the only thing that I ever got groups like this out of before 209 was my Varmint rifle. Lee

Yes. In my Ruger 77/50 I get better accuracy with 250 gr SST's if I use Harvester's short black smooth sabot. I have not tried Harvestor's crush rib sabot yet in the Ruger. My groups almost double in size when I would use the long black sabot that use to come with the SST's. I have the same problem (bigger groups) with the new red sabots that come with the SST's.

It really depends on the bore diameter...in looser bores then MMP short black is king...in tighter bores the Harvester short black may be your best bet. Also when using the Parker bullets usually you have to use the MMP short black since the Parker bullets are .450 instead of .451/.452.

I am certainly no expert, but I have recently used crushed ribs in my Triumph. The change was dramatic over shockwave superglides. They are just as easy to load, still tight in the Triumph. They also worked great in my Omega, even though the Omega is not nearly as tight. They load extremely easy. My .02.

Latest posts

Back