Shot Shutzen 3fg today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Now that was some good accurate stuff! I'm about to run outside and take some pictures. Just dialed in my dads rifle after installing a taller front sight.

Im sure my dad flinched on his first shot, but he came back with <a href='/tags/2' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #2'>#2</a> and 3. After that I took the rifle into the shop, drifted the rear sight to the left a hair and then went back and took 2 more shots which put her perfectly 2" high above the bullseye.  This was just 50 yards today to get it on  target and test the new powder. I won this at rendezvous and since it shoots well, my dad and brother can use it for hunting this year. I am going  to sight in my brothers 54cal hawken next.
100_0410.jpg

Nice range report !
Since you made an adjustment to the rear sight, are you now bound to keep the same load using Shutzen to duplicate your target results :?:
Just wondering how the rifle would shoot if you switched powder.

real deal pete.

I shot the 54 hawken yesterday as well with 80gr 3fg and the first 2 shots were overlapping. After that I spent some time adjusting the front sight as the rear ran out of adjustment. I put a new front sight on it some time ago and I guess I got her a little off center.

Marty, I'm going to test both again today with a little more powder and after that, its off to 100 yards for fine dial in. These 2 will practice with pyrodex or black mz until hunting season. We save the good stuff for hunting.

So, you've shot Graf's version of that powder and didn't like it. I always wondered if Graf's version was the same as what Scuetzen sells on their own label. There has to be a reason Graf's can sell it so cheap besides buying in bulk.

Probably the left overs at the bottom of the pile lol. I still have grafs 4fg and that stuff is super slow in the pan.

..."We save the good stuff for hunting."
I'm learning...thanks for the tip! ;)

I've used quite a bit of it in 2f.  I originally started out with goex 2f and developed loads with it for both conical and PRB.  When my club did the next buy they went with Schuetzen, so I bought some of it.  I found that my POI didn't change one bit from the goex sight in's using the same amount of Schuetzen.  It is virtually the same as Goex IMO.

Yes, but Graf's powder tests a bit slower than Goex. Which makes us suspicious.

100 yards today! My dads Hawken up to start.
100-0462.jpg

1st shot, cold clean bore.
100-0463.jpg

next 2 shots on a dirty bore. Bullseye is 3" diameter.
100-0468.jpg

Idaholewis said:
Looks Good Jon! This is a powder i can readily get as well at Buffalo Arms. And it’s cheaper than ANYTHING else. 17.60 a Pound. I had a can of 2F but I gave it to my Dad. We shot a 1” Cannon with it once :D  

https://www.buffaloarms.com/black-powder
Do you guys remember when Goex was $4.00 a pound and everyone was screaming about them raising the price.  
We bought 1,200 pounds for our club and I wondered if we would get it sold at such a high price.  :shock:

I hauled that damn powder from Coonies in Hobbs, New Mexico to Loveland Colorado on a flat bed trailer. Got caught in a rain storm with a few flashes of lightning that made that trip one to remember.

Just checked and still have about 10 cans of 2FF and 3FFF left from that trip back in the 1980's.

Back