Shotgun question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Guys, we are looking at adding another 12g or 20g to the collection since grouse hunting was so awesome.

Question: Can a 3" chamber also use the 2 3/4" shells?

We're either looking for pump action or semi auto.

My 870 WING MASTER chambers 2 3/4's, 3's. I'll have to check but I think it handles the 3.5" as well :scratch:

Ray........... :Red tup:

It has to specifically state that it has a 3 1/2" chamber to safely handle the biggies.

Unless you plan on hunting geese, there is no need for a 3 1/2" chambered shotgun. My 870 super express (or whatever name they gave it) had a lot of fired shells sticking in the chamber until I polished the chamber. The 870 Express models are made without quality control and are a lot cheaper. An 870 "Wingmaster" is a jewel but costs over $100 more.

If you want to hunt upland game, a pump or auto (pumps are more reliable) in 20 gauge is the ticket. They are quick handling, lighter weight and kill just fine ... IF you are a decent shot with a scattergun. The shells are lighter too .. good for the high country. 

I quit using my 12 ga. shotguns about 3 years ago when I got a Remington 3" chambered 11-87 auto in 20 ga. I shoot ducks with it and turkeys too.

These were all taken with a 20 gauge:

Doveopener-2013eWEB_zpsdd15a0ed.jpg

IMG_1040web.jpg

IMG_0897web.jpg

IMG_0394bWEB.jpg

I have a 12 gauge Remington Model 1100 chambered for 3" magnums.  While it easily shoots factory 2 3/4" shells, I need to remember when reloading shot shells to put a heavy-enough powder charge in it to eject the spent shell.  If you are looking to grouse hunt, I'd go with the scatter of a 12 gauge and the quickness of a semi-auto for that second shot.

Back