side lock ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahRob

Reaction score
someone asked this ?? on another forum , any idea's

He did not say how much or what powder !!

Muzzleloader Problem

Postby BugBuilder on Oct 04, '08, 8:10
I shoot an older CVA .50 caliber Hawkins that has a 1:60 twist. I had not shot it for a year or so, and when I started shooting before the Muzzy hunt it was only at the range so I always wore safety glasses. I noticed I was getting powder spots on my right lens. It is apparently blowing back on me when I shoot. After alot of shooting I actually am getting a small powder burn on my forhead as well. It kind of worried me and thus I carried and wore safety glasses on my hunt.
Any idea what would cause this?
Thanks,
Bugbuilder :?:

UtahRob

I would assume the blow back is coming from the nipple/drum area. My first thought was that the blowback might be coming back up from the nipple pushing the hammer of the nipple then spaying/defecting some blow back towards the face.... Another possibility might be the drum being loose where it screws into the barrel allowing gas to come back from there....

In any case iwould be finding out where the material is coming from nd what is happening to the cap.

I guess I am assuming it is a cap lock - or is it a flint lock?

Just some guesses - I would interested in knowing if the cap is still under the hammer after firing or is it gone...

sabotloader said:
UtahRob

I would assume the blow back is coming from the nipple/drum area. My first thought was that the blowback might be coming back up from the nipple pushing the hammer of the nipple then spaying/defecting some blow back towards the face.... Another possibility might be the drum being loose where it screws into the barrel allowing gas to come back from there....

In any case iwould be finding out where the material is coming from nd what is happening to the cap.

I guess I am assuming it is a cap lock - or is it a flint lock?

Just some guesses - I would interested in knowing if the cap is still under the hammer after firing or is it gone...

Thanks !!!

I posted a link to this tread so he can get some help , he was not getting any hits on the other forum .

RobK.

Can he be using tooo much powder ?? lifting the hammer off the cap ??

Or wrong powder ?? pistol not rifle ??

If it is a Cap Lock CVA,not trying to start something but ,CVA have Leaf Type Springs that get very weak on alot of them and altho they might strike the CAP hard enought, the blow back might be lifting the hammer up letting the pressure of the cap to much causeing the powder burns

I would guess he has a worn hammer spring. And when he shoots the weak spring lets the hammer raise up, from the back pressure through the nipple so he is getting a little back spray. Also have him wiggle his drum. They can come loose

It would be interesting to know the kind of cap he is shooting as well as how much powder. There is some definite back pressure issues with that rifle. When he starts picking pieces of cap out of his forehead is when he better worry.

I would first off, get a new nipple and then get a new hammer spring.

What you are feeling is more than likely the cap exploding.

I feel that stuff plenty of times during a shooting event with all sidelocks that i have shot.

I agree with Frontier. I have had cap fragments hit me in the face a lot. I put a cap protector on my rifle and it solved the problem. It's a small funnel shaped brass accessory that is installed around the nipple that directs the cap shrapnel away from the shooter. You can find them at tradtional muzzleloading outlets like Dixie Gun Works or Track of the Wolf. You might want to give one a try and see if that doesn't solve your problem.

There is a cup that you can put under the nipple that protects the wood , I have them on all my side locks. There is always some blow back you have to learn to control it . :idea:

Yup,it's a weak hammer spring! I had one of those guns years ago,and the "flat hammer spring" will weaken fast. I replaced about 10 of them in the gun (it shot very accurate). T/C over came this problem by using a "coil" spring on their locks. He may have a hard tme finding a replacement "flat spring" for this gun,or might find a substitute for it at Dixe Gun Works. Ron

replacements are easily available. Heck, i even went and used a stiff Traditions main spring on a cva, just had to round the shaft that slides into the side of the lockplate.

Latest posts

Back