Skinning and Boning Knives.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
I need to get a pretty descent Boning knife to de-bone meat. And also a pretty descent skinning knife. Any suggestions :)

What I ended up doing instead of going to a store and buying what they claim is the best, I went to my local butcher shop and bought a couple of him. You know they use the best ones and they only cost me about $5.00 a piece. That was the way I did it.

I use the same knife for skinning that I use for field dress. For deboning I use a fillet knife. Works well on Walleye and Deer :D

DOUBLE LUNG said:
What I ended up doing instead of going to a store and buying what they claim is the best, I went to my local butcher shop and bought a couple of him. You know they use the best ones and they only cost me about $5.00 a piece. That was the way I did it.

That might work. Thanks

Batchief909 said:
Forschners will only run you around $14 from the local butcher, if he'll get 'em for ya at his price.. I've got some I've use for 20 years now,,,and they're still cuttin'. Same blade as the Victorinox Swiss Army knives. Won't rust on you, and easy to sharpen and keep sharp. I like the rosewood handled ones.

http://knifeoutlet.com/shop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=FORRBONING

Are those really good Knives? $18.00 bucks seems really cheap. I'm not
complaining just asking. :)

I've used mine for right at 20 years now,,,and my buddy runs a meat packing place here in town. He's been doing it for a living for going on 40 years now,,,and that's all he'll use. Yeah,,,,I'd take his word for it... :wink:

I have a boning knife that holds an edge really well. I would buy it again.
I purchased it from open stock at a department store.
It is a J A Henckels Twin Gourmet. The blade is 6" and flexible. The number is hard to read but I'm pretty sure that it is: 31686-160 (6")

charlie

All my knives are Wusthof.

Here is the 5" boning...
577.jpg

Nice lookin knife there jcchartboy!! Not sure i would want to dirty that one up. :lol:

Batchief909 said:
Forschners will only run you around $14 from the local butcher, if he'll get 'em for ya at his price.. I've got some I've use for 20 years now,,,and they're still cuttin'. Same blade as the Victorinox Swiss Army knives. Won't rust on you, and easy to sharpen and keep sharp. I like the rosewood handled ones.

http://knifeoutlet.com/shop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=FORRBONING

What's the best for deboning meat? Stiff or Flexible Blade?????

I just use regular fillet knives. I have one flexible bladed one and one stiffer bladed one. Use em for both filleting fish and processing deer.

Tom,,the Forschners are fairly flexible, and work great. . I might start soundin' like a salesman if you keep this up.. :lol: All the knives shown and suggested are darn good knives. I'm just tellin' ya what I use. I've never felt the need to try anything else. As a matter of fact,,I just packed away 3 of mine in my gear for deer camp this coming weekend. Just in case... :wink:

Chief Forschner,

Tell your butcher to sell Grouse one for a hundred bucks and no further inquiry will be made! :lol: Havent shot any Grouse for a while so just had to unload! :lol: :lol:

Loggy said:
Chief Forschner,

Tell your butcher to sell Grouse one for a hundred bucks and no further inquiry will be made! :lol: Havent shot any Grouse for a while so just had to unload! :lol: :lol:

Thanks my PA friend :x :)

Latest posts

Back