Skinning and Boning Knives.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batchief909 said:
Tom,,the Forschners are fairly flexible, and work great. . I might start soundin' like a salesman if you keep this up.. :lol: All the knives shown and suggested are darn good knives. I'm just tellin' ya what I use. I've never felt the need to try anything else. As a matter of fact,,I just packed away 3 of mine in my gear for deer camp this coming weekend. Just in case... :wink:

I'm ordering them Wednesday. Thanks for the information. :wink:

Cool Loggy! (we can split the commission... :wink: :lol: )

You'll be very satisfied with 'em Tom..or I'll buy 'em off ya. :wink: Order yourself a good smooth steel while you're at it. Helps keep the edge straight..

Batchief909 said:
Cool Loggy! (we can split the commission... :wink: :lol: )

You'll be very satisfied with 'em Tom..or I'll buy 'em off ya. :wink: Order yourself a good smooth steel while you're at it. Helps keep the edge straight..

Puma Knife and Knives of Alaska

Puma make a Hunter's Pal with a nice stag handle and leather case.

and Knive's of Alaska makes a nice small knife that is perfect also with a stag handle.

When you bone a deer, elk etc. You should take the meat off as muscles so there is not a lot of cutting. Most of it is taken off by separating the muscles with your fingers. Take a hind leg and lay it flat and on the side and you will see a muscle group. when you separate/cut it off you should have 4 pieces of steak. Same with the tenderloins and chops which are along the back. Now when you want to cut the steaks you should have a thin blade that is wide. As you cut the steaks they should peel to the side,
one slice per steak if you have a good knife. If they stand up the knife is not wide enough. These are hard to find, mine is 44 years old. This all I use it for. I found a case of knives along a railroad track back in 57. This is the only one I have left.
Redclub

You can not beat filet knives,Accu-Sharp sharpner,I avg 8-10 deer per year between my son and I.They just flat work.When I worked at a butcher shop, that is all we used for boning.Nothing fancy, nothing expensive.As a matter of fact we bought our filet knives from a place that re ground knifes.We got them really cheap.They perform just as well as the high dollar knives at a fraction of the cost.

Grouse said:
Batchief909 said:
Forschners will only run you around $14 from the local butcher, if he'll get 'em for ya at his price.. I've got some I've use for 20 years now,,,and they're still cuttin'. Same blade as the Victorinox Swiss Army knives. Won't rust on you, and easy to sharpen and keep sharp. I like the rosewood handled ones.

http://knifeoutlet.com/shop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=FORRBONING

Are those really good Knives? $18.00 bucks seems really cheap. I'm not
complaining just asking. :)

They are great knives for the application!

Latest posts

Back