SMI range report with Parker bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillinWV

Reaction score
Took my SMI 50 caliber Encore to the range today. Load was 42 grns. of VV-110 with Parker 250 grn. Ballistic Extreme. Range was 100 yards using a Caldwell "Rock" rest and a bunny ear Protektor rear bag. Group on the right was Fed. 209A primer, on the left was Win. W209. Dry patched between shots and waited about 10 minutes before reloading. Both groups around 1.0" These were the only groups I shot today. Will try again when I get a ramrod tip that doesn't tear the bullet tips off. Thanks "magnumpower" for giving me a pack of these bullets to try and your advice even though this is about the size groups you shoot at 200 yards!

Hi Bill,
Thanks for sharing your report. It's interesting to me that the Primers showed a left-right difference. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Looking forward to furure reports, Ridge

Actually very little difference where groups impacted. Turned target 180 degrees between groups. Do this alot when shooting targets, sometimes moving only 90 degrees or put a minute or two each way on scope adjustments.

Bill

Mystery Solved!!! :wink:
Thanks for clearing that up for me.....
I was kinda thinking it might be one of those West Virginia phenomenas, like everyone having one longer leg down there... :lol: :lol:

Have a Good One,
Ridge

Bill,
I think you would do better with a slightly slower powder. The extra length, slower twist(favoring a little faster speed) would allow the use of a slower powder such as 4198 , VV-120 or even 2015(I'd personally use a duplex of 5744 followed by 2015). The 275 BE (also sold with yellow tip under the Remington label) would likely do a little better out of the SMI barrel. I plan to have my son-in-law use my 50 cal SMI this year with 7g 5744 under 63g 2015 with 275 Rem(actually the 275BE). :D I'll be using my 40cal PacNor RB'd ML-2 with 200SST. My son will be using the same except 45 cal with saboted 200SST.

I sure would not be disapointed with that range session. Nice shooting, a little tweeking and you will find a sweet spot.

That's really good shooting! Those Parkers are really getting a reputation for shooting accurate groups as WELL as excellent on-game performance.

Back