SMI shooters question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkstalkr

Reaction score
For those of you that have had a gun converted by SMI that was not previously a ML. (Ruger #1, NEF/H&R, etc..)

What have you done for a field rod when hunting? Whats most convient to carry around as thier is no rod holder on the gun?

Ron has a great break down rod. I use this with all my guns.... Its a 4 piece rod that I keep in two pieces in the field. Unless you drop it from your tree stand putting together, assembling two into one doesn't slow me down... I never shoot with a ram rod either so this is consistent with my bench work...

Ditto for what IndianaHunter said.
At first, I was a little worried about not having something hanging on the bottom of my barrel. Once I got into the actual act of hunting, I immediately realized that, for me, there was not really an issue to begin with.
I know some people that hunt with hunting sticks or a monopod - they simply band their ramrod to one of the legs and then it is even more at hand.
I found that "having" to spend a few seconds reloading actually helped me to find the dicipline to wait prior to going after the deer - typically I am so anxious I just start walking (I know, dumb).
For me, muzzleloader hunting is so much more compatable with my personality - taking 'just' that one shot is far more enjoyable than letting 5 slugs fly in under 5 seconds.
Good luck with your decision.

you know i found a possibles bag that i can fit my broken down ramrod into, and it only takes a few seconds to assemble and reload.
i like not having the ramrod hanging from the gun.
sb
PB041195.jpg

Back