Smokeless Double Barrel?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Yup it does exist!
100_9207.jpg

And heres the guy that made it, Ron Name of SMI !

100_9216.jpg

Darn you Dwight!!!! quit posting that picture!!! it is hazardous to my bank account!!!!!!!!!

R man Did you get your camera fixed after taking that last picture?
The O/U has 20 inch barrels so it is not front heavy just heavy.
I built that gun in 1983. Ron Name :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow... have you made another O/U since?

Where to the barrells intersect? what range?

Did you guys notice the other rifle in the top pic? That is a smokless mz as well. I believe it is on a Ruger no 1. Can you tell us about it Ron?
Yeah I got the camera fixed. :lol:

I got that o/u off dad in 1985 took many deer with it since then. Original load was 40 grn of IMR 4198 and 375 grn maxi-ball started using saboted loads in the mid to late 90s. Since I never realy needed 2 shots I retired the Origial smokeless that Dad built and got me a 28" flutted single on New England action wich is easyer to tote and more velosity. Dad took deer with it,I took deer with and in a few years my 6 year old son will hopefully take a deer or 2 with it. For 3 generations of deer harvesting with the same weapon. Its not for sale but I think Dad has another O/U that he might part with. I might hunt with it again for old times sake. That was the first time I shot it in 4-5 years at the Indiana smokeless shoot. Luke already has a S.M.I. with his name engraved on it but dont tell him he dont know about it yet.

What caliber is that second, single barrel rifle? It looks too small to be a .50, and really not even a .45, but that may just be a matter of perspective.

I would love to get a .40 smokeless, but I can't find anywhere to get sabots to fit a barrel of that caliber. A .35 or .375 rifle bullet in a .40 barrel would really be the stuff, IMO!

The Ruger #1 is a 50 cal smokeless muzzleloader with a 28 inch Douglas barrel. The barrel is 1 inch in diameter witl 8 flutes.
The load that I like best is 72 grains of AA 2015 powder under a 45802
barnes bullet that is 300 grain XS bullet in .458 diameter with a harvester
sabot. with a Federal 209A primer. It will shoot sub 1 inch groups if I do my part. Ron Name :wink: :wink: :lol:

Doolan I have made 7 O/U smokeless muzzleloaders to date.
I try to regulate the barrels to shoot at 100 yards a group of 2 inches with 3 shots from each barrel . Ron Name

Shotgun

What are the chances of an O/U Smokeless 12 guage muzzleloader shotgun?? I would buy one.

Back