Some ice fishing!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Took a trip into the mountains today since it was 60*! Did about 3 hours of hiking/rock climbing and while we were rock climbing we have 4 people out on the lake ice fishing. I brought poles with us but our favorite spot was iced over. LUCKILY those 4 people were in our spot and left us some nice holes to use  :lol!: 

The wind picked up later in the evening and got COLD, so we didn't stay for but maybe 30 minutes. I did catch a 13" splake with a red troutmaster? lure. Just bobbed it up and down slowly and shocked me that I actually caught something.

My nephew took a bad pic but the true beauty of the pic is obviously visible  :oops: 
1535625_10151952098162875_1619404164_n.jpg

Only way I can get some ice fishing done here is if I catch them inside a freezer  :lol:

Nice catch by the way  ;)  !

Thats one big ice fishing pole! Lol congrats ice fishing can be fun if your warm........at least thats the way i like to fish........

WOW...I'd be out ice fishing too if it were 60*  :!: 

The "feels-like" temperature right now in MA is -1*, so I'm gonna wait for that unseasonally warm, 32*+   :sunny: weather day before I break out my ice auger.  :)

It's short lived Marty. It's suppose to be 11 degrees and snowing tomorrow.

Sounds like FG was smart then and struck while the iron was hot.

FG...I wish I could dress like you do I go ice fishing.  I just got back my self from Lake of the Woods in Northern Minnesota.  Ice was over 24" thick this trip.  It was 19" two weeks ago.  My largest fish was a 24" walleye.

52* today. Tomorrow it shows in the 30s and possibly some snow.

It was nice actually, but on 6" of ice and hearing it sing while you walk on it is a bit scary lol.

LOL!  It "sings" a lot at 24" also when you driving a pick-up pulling a fish house on it!

I went on a Lake Trout fishing trip on Snowmobiles in Red Lake, Ontario one year and the ice was 46" thick.  That was fun.  No worries about falling through there.   :shock:

Smokin' Joe said:
FG...I wish I could dress like you do I go ice fishing.  I just got back my self from Lake of the Woods in Northern Minnesota.  Ice was over 24" thick this trip.  It was 19" two weeks ago.  My largest fish was a 24" walleye.
Walleye has got to be one of the best eating fresh water fish out there.

Smokin' Joe said:
I went on a Lake Trout fishing trip on Snowmobiles in Red Lake, Ontario one year and the ice was 46" thick.  That was fun.  No worries about falling through there.   :shock:
My brother sent me a photo one year of some people trying to pull a truck out of the slush on a semi-frozen bay of Lake Superior near Bayfield, Wisc. They had to cut it loose or both rigs would have gone in.

Smokin' Joe said:
My wifes uncle lived in alaska for over 30yrs, he use to tell stories of haveing extensions for their augers because the ice would get so thick.

6 years ago on Upper Red in nothern MN. we had our 12" extension on the auger and we were right down to the handle. That trip was great big crappies and a 52" Northern.

Back