Sparrows

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
They've gotten to the point of being a real nuisance and they're about the dirtiest bird I can think of other than crows. Today I went on a mission and found what I was hoping to be a partial answer to controlling the darned things and found these .22 long rifle shot shells. Fairly quiet, my air rifles make more noise than these do and they're very effective out to 20 yards [ proof was in the puddin], perfect for my needs. I need to round a few more boxes of these up and buy a case of beer while I plink..

Attachments

• 370614507_1929610414081076_6176480706259118529_n.jpg
    370614507_1929610414081076_6176480706259118529_n.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 0
Ninety miles west of you, we’re also had a bumper crop of sparrows this year! 😡

My opinion of the sparrows matches yours, pretty well.

I’ve got to (somewhat) disagree on the crows, though. As my dad always said, “I like crows. They eat all the dead stuff.”

Well, he used a different term in place of “stuff...” 😇

On the street along the city's lake was a dead goose.... and a dead crow. A couple other crows were dining on the goose but wouldn't touch that dead crow and there was more of it left to eat on than the goose, so eating dead stuff may only be half true. lol Come late fall and into the winter until spring, my trigger finger gets great exercise when the 60,000 [estimated number] crows flock into the downtown area to roost at night. Both coming and going they pass thru the area where I live and visit all the neighbors bird feeders. When they stop here, they likely aren't going anywhere but the garbage can. Some weeks there'll be 60-70 of the black devils in the trash, on trash day. That goes on all winter until they leave for the country to breed up more targets.

ah yes the english sparrow.. another invasive species brought here in 1851 first in NY. then again in the 1870s to san francisco. now they're nation wide. as a kid i shot hundreds with my daisy bb gun.

Ninety miles west of you, we’re also had a bumper crop of sparrows this year! 😡

My opinion of the sparrows matches yours, pretty well.

I’ve got to (somewhat) disagree on the crows, though. As my dad always said, “I like crows. They eat all the dead stuff.”

Well, he used a different term in place of “stuff...” 😇
I have a respect for those little critters. My grandmother told me that during the war in eastern Europe if they were lucky enough to get a sparrow and some rice it was a feast. She would alway feed them when she was with us in NYC.

Back