Speer 270gr flat nose

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banerbird

Reaction score
I'm looking for some input. The last 4 years, I've used a 240gr 44cal XTP with 130gr 777 pellets and always shot sub 3 inch groups at 100yds. I've always wondered, due to the damage done, if I was pushing that bullet too fast for close range (less than 50yds). Last year I think I found out. I lost a nice 11 point that should have either dropped in it's tracks or not gone far. It was quartering toward me at 40 yds, with the crosshairs just in front of the shoulder, I let her rip. The deer dropped 3 times before it got out of sight (75 yds) and I lost the blood trail after 300 yds. A week later, the neighbor found the deer within 150yds of where I stopped. Needless to say my confidence dropped for that particular setup at close range.

While looking for a bullet for my Dad to use in his CVA Kodiak he bought last year, I came across the 270gr Speer FN. He has always liked Hornady or Speer bullets. Hornady's (.430) are extremely tight in his ML, and since the Speers are .429, I picked up some for him to try. Knowing that the 270gr would have more energy than the 240gr, I thought I'd try them as well.

Needless to say, at the range anyway, they performed better than the XTP's. I was shooting at a 1/2" dot ... 2 were touching the dot, while the 3rd made a ragged hole of one of the others (13/16" at 100yds and I pulled on the 2nd shot). SO, I'm going to try them this year.

My questions is.... Using 130gr of 777 pellets, how do you think the flat nose would perform at +150yds. I'm not familiar with the expansion rates of FN bullets.

Boy, that's a hard one for me because I never shoot that far. Also I shoot the 270 gr Speer FN Gold Dot and their accuracy falls off after 70 yards. They shoot great at close range, but after 70 yards get a little spread to them. Maybe I am not pushing them hard enough.

How they would work out at 150 yards... well I think if I were going to shoot those kind of distances, I would want a bullet designed for that. Something like a shock wave, Parker, SST, Barnes, something that would have good flatter trajectory, deep penetration, and good expansion.

I really could not say what that Flat Nose would do. I also shoot a 405 grain flat nose in .458 and a home cast 424 grain Flat nose in .458. I personally think they would be a great bullet at close range.

Maybe someone would have better information for you.. good luck. Too bad about that nice buck.

if you want something for 150 yrds you could try xtp 240 or 300 grs work good its like that flat nose xtp horndays you can buy in bulk or 30 pack for 11.00 dollars at cabelas good luck

im sorry for the info we tried them with pellets 2 777 50 grs my father inlaw uses this round shoot around 0 to 100 yrds with cva thunderbolt yes loading is a little harder he did try some powerbelt the new one they were are right cva came out with the new sabot it loads easier and works realy nice we took them to the ranger good groups at 100 yard with 777 pellets and a bench rest 1-1/2 not bad at all the sabot looks like the deer slavery con but with a poltip

Which sabots do you use with 405gr. 458s??

Cayuga: would you mind shareing your loads for the .458 405 gr? which sabots? how much powder you use? I have a ton of the 405s for my 45-70s, and would like to try 'em out.. thanks Les

I think I have my answer on the performance of the 270gr Speer FN and 130gr 777 pellets.... Until they stop making them, I don't plan on using anything else with my Encore. I knew on paper they shot awesome, but I wasn't sure about the performance on a deer. Now I know.

Opening evening in Illinois, I took a 7 point at about 40 yds. He was quartering toward me slightly. I put the crosshairs low on his shoulder and let her rip. He took 5 hobbling steps and took a nose dive. The bullet took out the bottom of the lungs and the top of the heart (a lot of red goo too). The exit hole was twice the size of the entrance. There was very little blood shock.

In West Virginia, I took a big doe at 80 yds. She was full broadside. She dropped, got up, took 3 steps, and was down for good. I took the bottom of the heart out completely. Exit hole was again twice the size of the entrance with very little blood shock.

My dad tried the same load. He took a spike in WV at 100 yds. He hit him high in the shoulder and the deer went only 20 yds. Exit hole was the same as the other 2 with little blood shock.

Unfortunately, we were not able to recover any bullets, but from all indications, it hit them like a freight train, flattened out well, and held together.

Hopefully this spring, I'll be able to shoot some into wet newspapers at 50 and 100yds. I want to see what the bullet looks like.

Re: Which sabots do you use with 405gr. 458s??

Les Staley said:
Cayuga: would you mind shareing your loads for the .458 405 gr? which sabots? how much powder you use? I have a ton of the 405s for my 45-70s, and would like to try 'em out.. thanks Les

I use a MMP (or Knight) orange .457-.458 sabot. I buy Remington 405 grasin copper jacketed lead FPs and shoot them with 90-100 grains of powder depending on the rifle I am shooting. I also cast my own .457 diameter LEE MOLD 405 grain, which normally because they are all pure lead come out at 423 grains. I push them with 90 grains of powder.

In my CVA Staghorn Magnum which has a red dot, shoot my home casted or store bought with 90 grains of Graf's & Sons 2f powder will just pound a hole almost at 50 yards. I have yet to take a deer with them but I have all the confidence in the world that if I blast that into them, they will go down.

My next purchase I want to get some of the 300 grain .458 FP and see how they shoot. If they do well, as I suspect they will, I am going to get that mold as well...

Latest posts

Back