SpinJag ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampFox

Reaction score
Guy's i am going to order one of these SpinJag's from this place below

http://www.spinjag.com/index.html

My question's are these .I want the SpinJag that the has a tightest fit to the Bore of the barrel for the best bullet alignment,but NOT so TIGHT that a cloth cleaning patch would not go down the barrel are get hung up ?
Would the SpinJag LOADER type let me use a cleaning patch over the end of this type spinjag?
Are do i need the Original SpinJag type to let me use a cleaning patch over it so as to be able to clean in between shots?

And one other question about either type spinjag's.I am now shooting the Barnes Spit-Fire TMZ bullets.These bullets.Are a pain to load,i mean i got to really bare down on them alot.But they shoot so dern great i just can not stand to part with them.I am wondering how and if either types of these SpinJag's could hold up under so much of the pressure loading needed to load these Barnes Bullet's.They both look as if they are kinder weak in the middle and might snap in half.Any of yall ever had one to Break under loading pressure?
Thanks guys

bought one and i am very happy with it..very solid built ,if u look at the end they screwed in a steel set screw 10-32 thread ..much better than the brass threads that we see on most jag's ...ps. don't worry it wont break ,i have a T/C ENCORE and it is very hard to load ,but with the rotating jag it is much easier now.. :wink:

I bought a couple. They work very well. The only modification I want to make is to cut the ramrod down about 2" or find a shorter rod. I don't know if its hurting anything but I don't the jag sticking out about 2" past the muzzle. Gets pretty loaded with fouling.

I just check and you can get a patch down the barrel Only with the original spin jag I have used both for a while and they work great it is that extra little bit of help for those tight bores.Not just a gimmick they are very well made and do a great job go for it get both if you can.Night

I've got 2 range rods and have spinjags on both. They are the best jags I have used yet. Kerry

They make a quality product. If you have questions just give them a call, they are helpful in that regard.

Many thanks there Night for this info.
Thanks again
Night said:
I just check and you can get a patch down the barrel Only with the original spin jag I have used both for a while and they work great it is that extra little bit of help for those tight bores.Not just a gimmick they are very well made and do a great job go for it get both if you can.Night

Yep,str8shooter48 i know what you mean .I hate to see any part of any kind of JAG are Ramrod sticking out past the barrel ,no matter how small of amount.INFACT.I am ordering a Blank Ramrod so i can cut it down to fit just back of the end of the barrel with my Barnes Aligner Tool screw on it as my hunting rod. I will use the stock Ramrod with a Tee Handel and the SpinJag screw on it as my play/Range Rod.
str8shooter48 said:
I bought a couple. They work very well. The only modification I want to make is to cut the ramrod down about 2" or find a shorter rod. I don't know if its hurting anything but I don't the jag sticking out about 2" past the muzzle. Gets pretty loaded with fouling.

I bought one last year and it work great with the SST. Can't comment on the barnes as I've never used them. I also use mine for cleaning, if necessary in the field.
I don't leave mine attached to the rod as I have a power rod with t-handle and the end with the jag won't go through the timbles. This is of no concern to me as it only takes a couple of seconds to screw in on.

RAF said:
I bought one last year and it work great with the SST. Can't comment on the barnes as I've never used them. I also use mine for cleaning, if necessary in the field.
I don't leave mine attached to the rod as I have a power rod with t-handle and the end with the jag won't go through the timbles. This is of no concern to me as it only takes a couple of seconds to screw in on.

i have the same set-up as you ,i use the power rod for hunting only ..on the range i use the T/C rod with a big handle for loading ..

I bought the original spinjag this summer and have used it in my Omega with the Knight/Barnes 245 grain spitzer boattail and the 250 grain TMZ. I switched to the blue ezload sabots and those load a lot easier than the yellow ones shipped with the bullets. I also treated my bore with Ultra Bore Coat, which really eased the amount of elbow grease it took to load these sabots. The spinjag works very well in my situation, after I floated the barrel and started using the spinjag my groups shrunk to 1" and under.

PS if you have a bunch of the Barnes bullets left, call Knight and order some of the blue ezload sabots - they sell them for like $6.50 per 50 pack. Then ditch the yellow sabots!!!

I like my spin jag too, but why do they have to be so long?
Seems like they could be at least 1" shorter and therefore not stick so far out when the ramrod is stored.

sj.jpg

Yep...wish there was some way to leave it on, but with the ProHunter that's "purt-near" impossible. Maybe with a collapsible rod and a power handle??? :idea:

IMHO I just don't see any need to keep the jag attached to the rod while hunting. When a deer appears and I decide to shoot I usually hit it. If I miss there is no way anyone can reload fast enough to get a 2nd shot before the deer disappears. After I shoot I just reattach it, reload, and when I'm done, take it off and put it away. Besides I use the Power rod and the T handle won't go through the thimbles and no jag will fit through the thimbles. To me it's the fact of the matter and I accept it.

These I dont believe were made to stay on your hunting ramrod. I tried the T/C take off to this and they are at least 2 times as long. Kerry

I hunt only in the west, spot and stalk; elk, bear, deer and antelope.

The philosophy with elk and bear hunting it to keep shooting till he drops.

Someone should come up with a quick connect system (snap on) instead of a threaded attachment.

There ya go, I just gave someone a million $$$ idea!
:p

Back