Spit Patch & Heavy fouling

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
I did quite a bit of shooting yesterday with the Traditions MR Flintlock yesterday and afterward, recovered a good deal of my patches and noticed one thing. Almost all of them had thick chunky fouling/powder stuck to the patch in the center. I was using a spit patch and cut at the muzzle, loading was easy as it should be, but the residue left on the patch has me rethinking about the idea of sucking on a patch. The saliva seems to be causing some nasty build up in the bore over the half dozen shots I took yesterday.
img_8010.jpg

I only use a spit patch to clean the bore between shots. I never tried it for lubing the patch.

I have stood on a firing line and shot 40 or more rounds with a piece of ticking hanging out of my mouth, cutting at the muzzle......and won a few matches. Not sure why the buildup on the center of the patch. In the "old days" I wasn't the only one shooting with "Spit patch". Due to nervous habit...the strip of ticking always ended up in my mouth and not exactly overly wet but damp enough..perhaps yours were too wet????? Except for the "thick chunky fouling/powder" on the patches they look pretty good.The only time I ever use a lube is with my hunting loads. :Beating Muley:

I'd rather chew gum and lube the patches with Ol' Thunder, Lehigh, or Jon's lube.

Jon

upon further reflection regarding the heavy buildup on your patches, I feel fairly certain it must have been too much saliva on those spots where the powder congealed......and too wet to burn. When I target shoot, the ticking is damp but not soaked. I know that seems counter intuitive, but with a rifled gun, it shouldn't require that much "lubricant" to run the ball down the barrel or for it to exit. Obviously when hunting "spit patch" would dry before firing........thus why patch lube is needed for extended periods.......probably you came to the same conclusion, but I was thinking about it again this morning. :D

Yeah Jon you just use spit. You don't hack up a lougie!
I personally have never shot with a spit patch but when I'm on the range shooting BP, after loading the rifle, after loading the rifle I put a patch in my mouth (cheek) to moisten it. Then after firing the round off I take it out and swab the bore with both sides. Then repeat (using a new patch of course)

Latest posts

Back