Spit Patch or?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering if you experts in the field could give your opinion on patching between shots while using 777 FFF with sabot. I have read that some use their own concoction and others use spit. What are most of you using on your patch? Getting older and don’t have a lot of spit left.
Just damp spit works and is free! Pump it down then turn it over and pump it down or just dry patch pumped down. Just pushing it down will catch your patch at the bottom.

I use windshield washer fluid. Looks like Windex and works like It but has alcohol…seems to dry up faster and easier than Windex or just water…1st patch is somewhat wet (dripping) not damp…damp runs the risk of sticking the rod down where the real crud is.

If you develop a system and a convenient way of handling patches and a palmsize little spray bottle…swabbing out the bore is quick n easy…

Spit patch for swabbing…sure…if you like Mountain Dew, Redbull or coffee spit down the bore…honestly you’re gonna need a fair amount of spit to make a difference shooting 110grs of 777…

Last edited:
Dry. I turn the rifle upside down, run the brush a stroke or two (concentrating on the crud ring area) and dump out the fouling dust.
Interesting, do you see an advantage doing it this way?

Quick and simple when needed

WinPatch.jpg

Quick and simple when needed

WinPatch.jpg
This looks like an awesome idea…the juice and the patch together…T7 crud softens up quickly when sufficiently wet….spit damp patches prolongs the swabbing process.
The bore is easy enough to dry out…

Latest posts

Back