Sportsmens Warehouse

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To our valued customers,

A year ago, Sportsman’s Warehouse entered into a merger agreement with Great American Outdoors, parent company of Cabela’s and Bass Pro Shops. Effective December 2, 2021, that merger agreement was terminated. We at Sportsman’s Warehouse are excited to continue operating as a separate, independent and publicly-traded company.
As we enter 2022, we look forward to continuing our strong growth – adding more stores, improving Sportsmans.com, and expanding our product assortment and services. Our mission to provide outstanding gear and exceptional service remains unchanged.

Jon Barker
CEO
Sportsman’s Warehouse

I used to drive 70 miles to shop at Cabelas, now Bass Pro. All the good clothing and camping is gone and fishing has replaced that whole area. I now go to Sportsman's just 20 miles away.

I do miss all those animal mounts though.

I remember the first time shopping at Cabela's in Dundee Michigan back in 1999/2000 timeframe.
It was their customer appreciation sale they held each fall. These were real sales, unlike today's BS where everyday is the 'sale of the century'.
Today, I get tired of being bombarded with fliers/emails... sorry, I digress.
Cabela's also had the end of year sale for those who carried their credit cards. True employee discount pricing, no BS.
During the off-sale periods, Cabela's prices were generally a little higher than other hunting/fishing retailers. Fine by me. That small markup more than paid for itself with the excellent service and friendly staff. I would occasionally ask if the employees enjoyed working there...pretty much all yes's and it showed.
Cabela's took back my returns without hassle, even several months after the purchase.
Since the merger, things sure have changed.
Thanks for the info mm

I hope they shape up! The one in bigflats n.y. sucks. They never have crap in stock or anyone that knows what their products are. I hate to see these big box stores come in because they put mom and pop stores out of buisness. Then when they choose not to carry products, because they are really not 2A compliant and do not want to hurt anyones feelings, you end up with a crappy store and no other place to shop. Seen it, been there, done it. No place to shop for us hunters, target shooters ect.....

Wish they were on the east coast. I used to practically live at the Albany SW when I was in Oregon. Up here it’s Cabelas or mail order….

There are some. One in Roanoke, Va and one in Greensboro, NC that I know of.

There are some. One in Roanoke, Va and one in Greensboro, NC that I know of.

Thank you. I should have been more specific, but forgot my location is not displayed on this forum. I’m in central Massachusetts. My closest Sportsman’s Warehouse in about a 10 hour round trip into upstate NY.

I was under the impression talking to guys I know that work there that the merger was a done deal.
I have two elk heads in the local SW.
I can't take them back. I simply just don't have room to put them anywhere. I hope SW stays afloat and I don't have to cross that bridge.

Cabela's has gone so far downhill that I was really frustrated SW was going to join with BP and Cabelas. SW does seem to try to understand the needs of us Western hunters and carry some gear that is helpful in that regard. Cabelas use to as well. But once they merged with BP, all they cared about was Whitetail hunting and bass fishing. No problem with catering to those needs in areas that make sense, but there are few bass ponds and VERY few whitetails in Utah. I appreciate that SW started here and to some degree try to stick to those Western roots. At least around here they do.

Frankly, with fishing gear, I prefer to buy from my local fly shop/fishing shop. Good people who work hard to teach and help folks learn tricks and tips to be successful. BP/Cabelas are like Walmart and SW might be a little bit better if you get the right person helping you, but not the level of a local pro shop.

Archery, I only go to a pro shop. ML products, local gun shops when I can, and online most of the time unless SW has the stuff I need.

FH

The old Cabela's reminded me a little of Brownell's with slight price mark-ups. The excellent customer service was well it! Thankfully Brownell's hasn't changed their policies and they remain well worth my shopping time.

Back