Springfield Stalker question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a question about a 45cal Springfield Stalker (H&R reproduction). First I will give you a little back ground on my self to get an idea of experience level. I have owned a flint lock for 15 yrs + did a lot of shooting in the beginning for a year or so and it went in the gun safe. I just retired from the Army and for retirement I received a nice double barrel 58 cal percussion. So now I have the time to get back into blackpowder hunting. I bought the stalker about a year ago didn't do anything with it until now. I took it to my local BP shop to get what I needed to shoot it and we noticed an issue with the ramrod. It about 8 in to short. There is no room in the stock to put a longer rod. It almost seems from factory it wasn't drilled out. The BP shop said it a complete functioning gun and they have no idea why it's like that. Before I drill out the wood to put in a new rod does anyone have any ideas why this is like this? Also do you have any suggested loads for my 58 & 45. The BP shop said to start at 70 gr on the 58 and 60 gr for the 45. Both 2 F.

Had a 58 Stalker, the rammer is a telescoping type. Unscrew the cupped end and extend it. To lock it in that position twist it until it stops. Yes its a poor arraignment... H&R used the locks from their 73 Springfield repops so be aware there's an extra notch on the tumbler. Full cock is WAY back. Mine was very poor in ignition reliability. Hope your's is better.
Twist rate for the 45 is for roundballs. Good luck

Thanks for the response. I just checked the gun and it looks as if someone broke the old one and replaced it with a short fiberglass one. I did some measuring and a full ramrod won't fit because of the front lock screw. So drilling it out isn't an option. For the range a long one would do but I like to move around a lot when I hunt so I need to come up with a different plan for loading in the field. Before I go dumping a lot of money I going to go shoot it if it has ignition problems or I can't get it to pattern I will sell it and buy a different one. My local BP shop said they would be interested in buying it. Not sure why they didn't know much about it but they brought it up I didn't.

Thanks for the response. I just checked the gun and it looks as if someone broke the old one and replaced it with a short fiberglass one. I did some measuring and a full ramrod won't fit because of the front lock screw. So drilling it out isn't an option. For the range a long one would do but I like to move around a lot when I hunt so I need to come up with a different plan for loading in the field. Before I go dumping a lot of money I going to go shoot it if it has ignition problems or I can't get it to pattern I will sell it and buy a different one. My local BP shop said they would be interested in buying it. Not sure why they didn't know much about it but they brought it up I didn't.

You might try a rammer from an H&R Sidekick or Huntsman muzzleloader. They are of the same type, but might be different length. Just an idea incase your's goes BOOM more often than mine did!

Back