Squirrel Dogs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of good ones down here in Texas and La. Little far from you I guess.

Ther best Squirrel dog I ever had was a Fox Terrier. Runer ups are the Black Mouth cur I have now. Both were females.

Nother better than Squirrel hunting with a good dog.

Hope you find you a good one.

Cur dog, I had a Ladner bred cur a couple years ago, job change forced the sell of the dog.I need my butt kicked for doing that.That dog can not be bought now!!!

Have heard many good things about those Lander cur dogs. What kind of tree rat's do you have up there? We mainly have grey/cat and Fox Squirrel's.

cur_dog said:
Have heard many good things about those Lander cur dogs. What kind of tree rat's do you have up there? We mainly have grey/cat and Fox Squirrel's.
Greys and Fox squirrel,primarly fox squirrels in these open woodlots.farther south you run into a lot a of greys.We have a lot of coons also.I competition hunted hounds for years,but got out of it for my kids.I wanted a cur to go out and knock around with of a evening.

The female I have now was from a ranch that used them for cattle and hog hunting. I do not use here for either but you can see that "catch" in her when she is around cattle.

Tar-12 said:
cur_dog said:
Greys and Fox squirrel,primarly fox squirrels in these open woodlots.farther south you run into a lot a of greys.We have a lot of coons also.I competition hunted hounds for years,but got out of it for my kids.I wanted a cur to go out and knock around with of a evening.

We have also got a some flying squirrels around here. In fact I know a place that makes it hard to believe that they are an endangered species

I forgot about those Flying Rats! The coonhounds would tree on or around a den tree at night and you would see those little buggers running and then they would launch off and glide away.I had never seen one till I moved from Ill. to Ind.They seem to be plentiful around here as well.I see the occasional piney too.And on rare occasion I will see a black squirrel,but I think it is just a color phase of the Fox squirrel. Olney Illinois is the home of the White or albino squirrel.You can go to the county court house there and they are running everywhere! I spent some time growing up about 25 mile to the north west.We would occasionaly see a squirrel with a white head or tail and the rest of him would be colored like a fox squirrel! Pretty neat!

We've got flying squirells around our cabin. they only come out at night and show up at a feeder we have. They sure have big eyes and tend to blink a lot when you take their picture. Must be the flash :D

We have some Flyers in a hollow tree close to out fence. A lot of times I will go out there and ther will be an owl sitting on the fence. Them flyers are really doing some talking when the owl is there.

Friend of mine just bought 2 Catahulla cur dogs. Nice looking pups.

Back