Dog Food ideas?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With hunting season right around the corner, I am trying to accelerate the pace at which we are eating down the venison in the freezer. I've got a 45 pound goldendoodle who I am considering making some homemade dog food for with the ground venison. Anybody got a recipe that they've used for this?

I feed mine 10 % veggies & 90% meat. Rice is good, gn. beans, peas, taters, sweet taters, carrots, pumpkin. I have fed mine twice a day. My biggest is 32 lbs i give her 6 oz. at each meal.

We just mix burger with rice for the dogs. Nothing fancy and they love it.
I use all my burger for jerky. between me and the grandkids it doesn't last long!
I feed my 2 labs Purina Dog Chow and I used to buy canned dog food and put a tablespoon in each bowl for them but the price went from 60 cents a can up to $1.72 thanks to Biden's economy.
Its cheaper for me to buy chicken thighs which I boil off in just enough water along with some fresh carrots or sweet potatoes. When done I remove the chicken and when cool remove the meat and chop it up. I also add to the mix a can of low sodium or no salt added green beans.
I imagine you can do the same with your burger. Just give it to you dog in small amounts until it gets used to it and doesn't bring it up all over your floor. This displeases the wife!

Scraps from cutting meat are cut small and added to the dogs morning meal while it lasts. Other than that, we eat all our meat that makes the freezer.

The local vet told me if lentils were in the first five listed ingredients of dog food, do not feed it to your pet. Says it contributes to a kind of heart problem I can't remember now. Also not to heat dog food/water in a microwave.

I use all my burger for jerky. between me and the grandkids it doesn't last long!
Actually, usually I do too...but I was out of town and the wife left the chest freezer open a crack for three days! Everything defrosted but was still cold...so safe to eat I think but then when refroze, crystals and freezer burn etc. It just won't taste good to people, but the dog won't care. So, the doggy gets venison and rice till the freezer is empty. Wife was extremely apologetic, but I'll admit that I was frustrated...that was a lot of food that I had plans for!

Actually, usually I do too...but I was out of town and the wife left the chest freezer open a crack for three days! Everything defrosted but was still cold...so safe to eat I think but then when refroze, crystals and freezer burn etc. It just won't taste good to people, but the dog won't care. So, the doggy gets venison and rice till the freezer is empty. Wife was extremely apologetic, but I'll admit that I was frustrated...that was a lot of food that I had plans for!
I feel your pain.

an active dog that size should get somewhere around 2 cups of food per day, divided up per feeding. Maybe a half cup more if its dried food. Less food if your pup isn’t very active. Keeping an eye on weight gain or loss, obviously, to fine tune the amount. Dogs are like people, they can have different metabolism rates.
That said, I would start with the same amount of venison&whtever mix, as you feed him already.

You can feed them more if you add vegtables. Carrots, green beans and such. Fills their belly without excess calories. Carrots are a great snack for them too. Just ask your vet.
I usually go thru a couple 1 lb bags of baby carrots a week.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back