Squirrel in a crock pot?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Reaction score
I decided to thin the herd out back. 4 shots, 4 "thuds" all in less than 5 minutes once the woods quieted down - and I never moved from my spot. I've got them soaking in the fridge now.

Anybody hava a good recipe for squirrels in a crock pot or slow cooker?

I forgot how hard they are to skin! Next time I won't wait as long - I'll skin them when they are still warm & floppy.

Nope. No slow cooked recipe. My wife bones em out and makes a nice stir fry with em.

This one is a no brainer. :lol:
cut up your nut eaters and roll in flour and brown them in a pan with a lil oil and a lil bacon.
Add a chopped tomatoe
lil garlic
2 cups water with a dissolved bouillon cube
1 bay leaf
lil salt and pepper
1 pak brown gravy mix
1 chopped small onion
cook it all day on low

another way I like is to cook the tree rats in a pressure cooker with onions and celery, till meat falls off the bone. Then remove the bones,then put the meat in with a bottle of a sweet bar B Q sauce and warm it up on the stove or let cook in the crock and have tree rat Bar B Q on a bun!

Dwight:

About how long in the pressure cooker? It's kinda hard to open and check while they are cooking... :?

Thanks. That'll be tomorrow's dinner. I'll hit 'em again tomorrow after work. It just might make deer hunting easier this Fall- less eyes to see me!

Nuther Easy One for both bunnies & rats. :lol:

SQUIRREL OR RABBIT IN CROCK POT
3-6 dressed squirrels, cut in pieces or

1-2 dressed rabbits cut into serving size pieces
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 tbsp. lemon or lime juice
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
Place squirrel halves or rabbit pieces in crock pot. Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and pour over meat. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours. To thicken gravy, use either flour or cornstarch mixed with water. Cook on high until thickened.

An easy way to clean those lil' buggers is cut them up under there tail where the sun don't shine & make sure that you sever the tail bone from the body , but just so the skin is the only thing that is holding it on .Then place the hind legs under your foot an pull up, the skin will pull off the back to the head , then the rest is easy ! check it out !!

Loggy,

Slow cooked some squirrel today using your recipe and man did it taste good. We stripped the meat and will use it tomorrow in my favorite meal; squirrel pot pie. We cook and strip the meat, use a pie crust, add vegetables and gravy (tomorrow courtesy of loggy) then cover and bake. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Thanks for the recipe!

By the way, I think that the squirrel is the toughest skinned animal on the planet. I immediately skinned them and they were even tough then.

Latest posts

Back