Starting a bullet with a starter vs. the ramrod?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach.trumble

Reaction score
Is there a reason why I would not want to start bullets with the ramrod?

I know are a thing, seen videos of people using them of course. I've always just placed the bullet squarely in the muzzle with my fingers and pushed it down with the ramrod.

Would it be better to use a bullet starter?

Why?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I use a short starter for both bullets in sabots and when using land riding bullets. When using sabots I prefer 30# or so of loading force. 20# with land riders.
I use the same jag (SpinJag) on my starter as I do my ramrod. https://www.amazon.com/Traditions-Perfo ... et+starter

The starter has a hole for the ramrod to ease loading. Myself, I've never had an issue using a starter. It … may … help me, or at least make me feel better, about bullet alignment.

Personally I never use a short starter it’s just more crap for me to carry in the woods. I’m only a hunter and only shoots sabots. With my TC Prohunter all I need to carry with me is one of the 3 tube (bullet,powder,primer) carriers. My ram rod has a t handle on it, the QLA on a TC makes starting sabots easy and my Breech plug can be taken out with my fingers. Most of the time I carry a Summit climber in and out on my back so the less crap I have to carry the better. If I do ever carry anything else it’s just a cleaning jag and 5-6 cleaning patches.

zach.trumble said:
Is there a reason why I would not want to start bullets with the ramrod?
Tight fitting bullets (and sabot loads)- that’s why they were created long ago to assist starting a patched round ball.

This is what I use with my CVA Accura V2 to start/complete loading the Barnes 250 gr T-EZ bullets. The small jag fits the Barnes bullets & 50 cal barrel which makes for accurate/repeatable loads.
tM1xPggl.jpg

None of my rifles have the relieved muzzles so starting a bullet with thumb pressure is near impossible. I started using a short starter about 40 yrs ago so it’s just habit now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Short starter for me too. I use the Knight machined T handle. Most of mine are tight, honestly I have not ever tried just the rod. To me, its not that much more to carry, all my stuff goes in one pocket.

when loading tight fitting bullets, I use a bullet starter. It is short and less likely to bend
a ramrod once the bullets has been started 4-6" down the barrel

With me it depends on the gun. Over the weekend loading with just the ramrod in a Knight Vision was a piece of cake. I could never do the same in the Ultra Light.

I have been shooting muzzleloaders since the 1960's and I have had only one gun of 20 some that did not shoot best by far with a load that was to tight it required a short starter to start it. If you want minute of angle accuracy you do what the gun likes and don't worry about what you like.

My 54-120 shoots exceptionally well with really tight fitting sabot loads. Pretty much all of my rifles have needed a short starter for sabots. My Nula is just the opposite. It blows my mind how well it will shoot with a fairly easy loading sabot because that has not been the norm for me. Land riders and conicals are the only exception to this. Most shoot really well with 20-30lbs of force or much less in the case of the lead conical.

I use a short starter with everything. In my mind the chances of damaging a crown are greater if you don't start with a short starter.
Art

Latest posts

Back