Steel rings and bases versus aluminum?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphaburnt

Reaction score
Are the Weaver and similar knockoff aluminum rings and bases as reliable as, say the Leupold QRW steel rings and bases? Will they keep their zero as Leupold claims at 100 yards within 1/2"?

MQ32shooter: The short answer is no. Aluminum corners will round under recoil. Both the luppy QRW's and the Warne Weaver style quick release are worth the money and hold thier zero. with the Warne follow thier torque specs. Hope this helps. Dean.

I feel that it depends on the size of your scope If you have a low power with a small objective. Aluminum is fine, If you have one of those large,long, high scopes you need the best steel base ring you can find.
Ken

Unless your talking about Talley aluminum rings or bases I wouldn't use anything but Warne steel. :wink:

Did I see somewhere that you had to use a torque wrench to tighten the Warne rings to specs?

Did I see somewhere that you had to use a torque wrench to tighten the Warne rings to specs?

The rings and bases that came with my elite look to be Leupold Rifleman in Knight packaging,could this be the case?If so,are they useable?I know there are much better out there but I would like to use these for at least one season.I would suspect that if I did a lot of range work they may not last.Any thoughts?

redfish said:
The rings and bases that came with my elite look to be Leupold Rifleman in Knight packaging,could this be the case?If so,are they useable?I know there are much better out there but I would like to use these for at least one season.I would suspect that if I did a lot of range work they may not last.Any thoughts?

All I know is the rings/bases from Knight that came with my Elite which I bought thru Sportsman Guide look/feel like junk. Very lite duty if you ask me. The Weaver Grand Slam rings and bases I bought are MUCH heavier duty. Look and feel much better!

Latest posts

Back