Still No Blood!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i found xtp to work nice. i may try 45cal soft point from speer next. SST and the other balistic tip did not perform
well so i wont use anymore. another reason i go 45cal i can find deals on 50,100,500 and for me $$$ keeps price
down. i like to shoot so it saves me money. 100 yd. accuracy is also 1.5-2in. max most times. having sabot under
sized or over sized can mess with accuracy. measuring and weight bullets to get close is another key to accuracy.

This is my first season with an inline and I took two deer…one buck at about 40 yards with a 240 grain Hornady XTP in green sabot, second, a fawn with same round. Buck ran about 100 yards and I swear, not a speck of blood. My dog found him…I would have eventually but only through concentric circles. Doe DRT but with very little blood. - I pinged an expert about this and they suggested heavier bullets. Got to say, I HATE losing a deer, and I really want either a blood trail or for them to DRT. I’ve switched up my load to a Barnes 250 TEZ. Hope that does better. On buck you can sort of see the exit…I did not recover the bullet in either case.

Attachments

• F02A3DE7-85A3-4B3F-BCDB-BA9575CA7374.jpeg
    F02A3DE7-85A3-4B3F-BCDB-BA9575CA7374.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 152406C6-B0A4-4B68-8F63-01F2F65B7CEC.jpeg
    152406C6-B0A4-4B68-8F63-01F2F65B7CEC.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 9
Barnes will do the job with excellent results, you will love them, great blood trails. 300 gr. Xtp, .45 cal., non magnum is also a go to load for whitetails with great blood trails.

you are going to have deer that will stay on there hoof's no matter how hard you hit them. 250 XTP will be
your best bet. if you hit some bone that will increase damage and put them down quicker. changing bullet's
weight would be your best bet. heavy bullets hit harder! no matter what bullet you use you will have deer
take off like you never hit them and some time's very little blood .

I was hoping for instant blood trail at the point of impact with the Lehighs. It didn't happen but I'll be sticking with them. I will just be choosing my shots more carefully. Thanks for all the input guys.
Oh yeah, I don't think I'll be going to BH 209 til the 777 is gone either even though that may take several years.

I was hoping for instant blood trail at the point of impact with the Lehighs. It didn't happen but I'll be sticking with them. I will just be choosing my shots more carefully. Thanks for all the input guys.
Oh yeah, I don't think I'll be going to BH 209 til the 777 is gone either even though that may take several years.

Bones, personally, now that you have the decision, I really think you have made the right decision. I and may others have had outstanding performance from the Lehighs. I have taken several animals both deer and elk with various Lehighs and had excellent success with most of them.

Latest posts

Back