Still No Blood!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started out modern muzzleloading with 150 gr. 777 powder and 330 gr. PRrifle QT bullets. The recoil was brutal, but deer usually just drop in their tracks. The pure lead bullets expand to over an inch. I've since lowered my load to 115 gr. 777. I believe it is hard to beat a pure lead bullet for deer.

I hit a small whitetail in the heart with my .270 once and watched it run 75 yards. Hit a cow elk in the heart at 90 yards and she ran 75 yards with no blood trail. I hunt aoudad and oryx, and both animals have heart and lungs further forward than deer and elk, so I've gotten used to shoulder shots. If you take out both front shoulders, they can't run, but it does ruin some meat.

You can't go wrong with the Barnes Expander muzzleloader bullets, but they are expensive. With copper bullets, you can eat right up the the meat, and at muzzleloader velocity you don't too much bloodshot meat.

With pure lead bullets, you don't need a lot of velocity. I've gotten full penetration on elk with 405 gr. bullets at 220 yards and 115 gr. 777. Use the amount of powder that gives you the best accuracy.

I use the best shot presented for the most part. Often the heart lung as it is a bit bigger but usually requires some tracking. On heart shots I have found even with a hole in the heart the deer generally run hard for 50 yards or so. A brain or spine shot will anchor them there but I worry about taking off the jaw on a bad shot. So if I can I use the high shoulder shot, it anchors them right there.

For many years i tracked and located wounded deer and elk for other hunters, sometimes using a tracking dog.

Shoulder shot deer often leave little or no blood trail. Deer hit high in the lungs often leave no blood trail with an exit: They bleed out internally.

i've killed about 40 deer using the 250 grain SST bullet, never lost one. Most of my shots are <75 yards, i prefer high shoulder or high just behind the shoulder shots-bang flop.

Well I can see why you want a good blood trail. I shoot the 250 Lehigh Bloodlines, and have had excellent results with blood trails. I think I'm up to like 5 or 6 taken now with them, all have given good blood trails... a couple not so much in the first 20yds, but after that its been really good. Most have run less than 50yds, one did go about 150 which surprised me, but a blind person could have followed the blood. She literally bled out. I love how they perform, they are devastating in that regard.

Agree with others, if you want an immediate blood trail with a larger exit hole, you will need an expanding bullet. Maybe try a Barnes? That flower does some real damage for sure and is quite a bit bigger than the Lehigh on exit.

Congrats on a nice buck!

Bones, these pics is representative of the Lehigh effectiveness that I really like

2013-Damage.jpg

Blood here was easy to find and they work well on elk!

12-12-Elk-Composite.jpg

Last edited:
My Optima V2 loves the Barnes 250gr T-EZ as does my sons little wolf. The blood trail we have had have been unreal. Anyone could run and follow them. Just loaded up on more.....Midway has them on sale right now for 23.99 I couldn't resist ! 😁

My Optima V2 loves the Barnes 250gr T-EZ as does my sons little wolf. The blood trail we have had have been unreal. Anyone could run and follow them. Just loaded up on more.....Midway has them on sale right now for 23.99 I couldn't resist ! 😁

I shot my first ever deer with a 250 grain Barnes T-EZ, it came within 85 yards and stopped in my crosshairs. I was kneeling, pulled the trigger and when the smoke cleared the deer was DRT. I’m a religious double lung shooter and have thankfully never not recovered a deer with any rifle.
The Barnes are awesome in my opinion for my methods, furthest deer shot went 40 yards as I watched it crash and expire.

I went with a Hornady 300 grain XTP last year with Harvester sabot and shot a decent buck that dropped on the hit then got up and went 10 yards before crashing back to the ground to expire. Would use them again.

Great job recovering your deer bones, good luck on your next hunt!

Well, I wasn’t exactly aiming for the heart. I wanted to hit higher and a bit back. High shoulder was what I wanted, it just didn’t quite happen. I used the Hornady XTPs before and had the same issue. That’s why I went to the CF. I guess everyone will have a different opinion just like broadheads! I’ll look at the Sabertooth.
They are at least worth a look. I believe you were looking for a good blood trail rather than a bang flop. Obviously, shot placement is key but a big hole going out has never failed me.

So I went out and ranged the distance from gut pile to stand. Not sure I want to tell you all though. I will say this, it was further than I thought and it's a good thing I had a scope with BDC and that I used it. The reason I hit lower than I wanted is obvious at the distance. Probably will be considered unethical by many since I hadn't shot at that distance and was actually pretty lucky I guess. Lesson learned and can't I wait to shoot at longer ranges soon.

191. There, I did it . Flame on.

High shoulder shot.
is this a .50 cal if so try BH 209 powder may need to get breech plug for BH or open flash hole so you get a good fire to powder. harvester sabot crush black or red or sb. buy all three and see what .45 cal bullet fits snug down the bore.230 gr. and up to 300 gr. i shoot reg. .45 cal 230 gr ball ammo. no deer go more than 50yds. hornady xtp
would be my next bullet to try. with the price of bullets reg. 45 cal 230 bullet works. when prices come down
go xtp. 73-75 gr charge of BH is all you need. dont use any other powder in your gun. i can shoot 20+ rounds
and never have to clean. if you want any more info let me know. i have spent lots of $$$ and range time
to get this info.

i shoot reg. .45 cal 230 gr ball ammo.

That would be illegal the way im reading the regulations. They are illegal here for deer hunting im sure. Ball ammo aka FMJ is not designed to expand. Why would you want to use that for hunting deer?
all-lead bullet or ball, or a bullet designed to expand on impact.

keep thing's simple! .45 cal bullets have been killing animals and people for many years. sorry for being so plunt.
use what ever is legal were you hunt. i am not the one having blood trailing problems. when i shoot its all over
for the animal . quick and clean. hunt smart and hunt safe!!!!!!!

I have used the .44 cal 300 grain XTP, .40 cal 200 grain SST and the Barnes 250 grain T-EZ. I had issues with a lack of expansion using the XTP. Jacket separation with the SST. The Barnes 250 grain bullet has been outstanding, expands all the way down to 800 ft/sec and has has close to 100 % weight retention. Blood trails have been easy to follow too. My only frustration is cost and finding them in stock....

Back