Stopping browning in ...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
MOVED FROM MODERATORS ONLY SECTION.

Posted by Mofish

I have developed a problem in one of my safes that I think is a result of a browning job I did some time back. I browned up a rifle...which I have done quite a few times before... and left it in a safe afterward. Somehow it seems like the safe wants to work like a browning cabinet or something since, and I am getting a rusting problem on other firearms since. It seems like it takes quite a while to effect the blues firearms, and they are all nice and oily to keep it away. I use a lot of RIG grease on the blued ones, and they still develop rust !
I am thinking maybe I need to treat the inside of the safe with something to neutralize the process going on, but have never faced this problem before. The inside of the safe is lined with thin carpet like material and maybe it's holding the browning/rusting problem in it?
I was toying with the idea of spraying down the inside of the safe with a mixture of baking soda and water maybe? I think my only other alternative is ripping out all the fabric from the safe as well. I don't think dessicant will be any solution to my problem and I can't see adding any heat from a golden rod as the garage where I keep the safe is already pretty hot most of the time. 
Any ideas out there to help with this problem?

Many of today's safes are advertised as being fireproof, their fireproofing is nothing more than 5/8" drywall like used in your attached garage to meet fire code.  I asked my neighbor down the street about your problem (works for a safe company here in Lehi - Liberty Safe Co.).  He suggested removing the carpet and check your fire proofing it may be holding moisture from your last browning job. If it feels damp replace it with new drywall (same thickness as you have now).

Latest posts

Back