Stripped scope mount hole on new ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luddy79

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm brand new to muzzleloaders (and your forum) and just got a CVA optima V2 (open sights) shipped to me.

I sure was excited when it came on Thursday, but this morning I noticed that the scope mount hole closest to the breech plug has a hole there, but also that there are practically no threads in it at all. I don't have any calipers or anything at home right now to confirm this yet, but, since the gun is new, I suspect that they oversized the hole before running the tap in. If I squint I think I can see where the tap barely swiped the hole, but that's about the extent of it. It's possible that I'm looking at the helix from the drill and they completely forgot to tap it, but I suspect the former.

Background:

1) Like I said, this is my first muzzleloader. I've shot other 'cartridge rifles' a fair amount.

2) I'd like to have this rifle be accurate enough to be able to have some fun at the range, to hunt here in Colorado (where they apparently don't allow scopes anyway), and just see if I like the whole muzzleloader experience.

3) I always meant to and still do, but I haven't actually gotten around to hunting yet. So, zero experience there.

4) It's important to me to be able to ethically harvest some meat, meaning I want to be able to place consistent shots in a deer's vital zone for example. From my research, it seems doable to work up to this kind of accuracy and consistency with a muzzleloader even with iron sights if I'm not taking shots much more than 100 yards. I don't mind passing on some shots to make this happen.

5) I'm going to be graduating soon, so I don't have that much extra cash and I might be moving to a state that does allow scopes for hunting, or else I wouldn't really worry about ever putting a scope on.

6) I do have a bit of experience with and access (for the moment) to mills, lathes, etc., but going down a path that takes a lot of work (really it's the time isn't it?) or is going to possibly weaken the barrel, making it less safe to shoot doesn't really appeal to me since I ultimately could just send to thing back. I've done some machining, but not gunsmithing. Also, the 301 and 304 stainless I've worked with was less forgiving than the carbon steel in my experience. Apparently, the barrel is also '416 stainless' or something like that.

Questions:

1) Do my plans for hunting and target shooting sound reasonable to you guys?

2) If I find that this optima is really a tack driver (or if I move to a state that allows scopes for hunting), I could see myself thinking maybe I should have put a scope on it after all. I could see myself wanting to take shots out to 200+ yards in that case. I would probably want to just use the Dura sight dead on scope mount that CVA suggests. Do you think I'd really need that 4th thread to keep the scope from moving around too much to do what I'd want to do with an average amount of use and abuse? Are there any 'good enough' fixes that you guys could recommend for my purposes? Just epoxy the screw in there?

3) If I ever wanted to go ahead at having the hole drilled and tapped slightly larger, is this going to weaken the barrel even if I keep the hole depth the same? It seems like this hole is right over where the powder get pushed down to in the barrel. Starting to remove more material than is stock there gives me pause.

4) Do you think it's worth it to send the gun back considering what I want this gun for? I haven't had to do this yet with any of my other rifles. Does CVA seem to be pretty good in this respect? I would hope to think they'd just swap out for a new one, but I haven't asked yet.

Looking forward to hearing some of your opinions! Thanks!

On last thing I forgot to mention, do you guys think it would be worth it to upgrade to an Accura if I really wanted to up my game as far as accuracy goes, which might make the whole "scope on an optima" question a moot point anyway? I would only be able to afford this in a few years...hopefully.

Thanks again!

You must get consider sending it back to CVA. Perhaps they would replace the rifle. That might be the easiest course of action.

With a new M-L that you haven't shot yet(even if you did) I'd be calling up the manufacturer as soon as they open to squawk about it. Save all your paperwork.

The next option is letting a qualified gunsmith work some magic in that hole. It should be an easy fix, but then who wants potentially different screw sizes for the life of the gun?

It's a slow time of year for shooting and hunting. I'd send it back if they are helpful when you talk to them.

If it's your first M-L I think it will be fine, as to the capabilities and all.

I think the advice about contacting the manufacturer is sound. If that does not work you could go to a larger screw size all around. I have done that on some of my harder recoiling rifles.

if the hole is not oversize and you are in hurry only a gunsmith would have the right taps for the job, as they are extra fine threads and not found in your local hardware store. if you return it make sure cva pays the freight as shipping might cost more than having a gunsmith do the job.

Well, it looks like there's a consensus forming here. Back to CVA it is.

Thanks everyone!

i returned a tc venture center fire rifle a few years back. they emailed a prepaid shipping label for fedex, see if cva will do the same.

Latest posts

Back