Stupid move!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpsman

Reaction score
I've got two .490 balls atop one another in my .50 ahead of 100 grs. Goex 2F!!

446 grs. lead plus patches!

I hate the idea of trying to use a puller!

This is the flintlock rifle. Can't remove the vent...no driver slot!

I'm screwed!! :slaps: :Wow:

Wrong! Balls are 360 grs.!

I'm gonna shoot this dude out! One powder charge behind and balls are ball to ball!

I solved the problem! :cheers: 

Iphone stays at home when I go to the range from now on!!

Yes....it is! But....the only thing one can do is just keep on having those birthdays!!

My shooting bench:

26591016542_c4be657708_h.jpg
Untitled by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Explain what your shooting rest is? Looks like a heavy duty blanket with something in the middle.

That is a shooting mat rolled up tightly with a very stiff/hard piece of rubber hose inserted into the middle to keep the mat from collapsing! I do not shoot from the bench off a hard/commercial type rest. These rifle have recoil and to an extent recoil must be controlled as much as possible! I shoot off my left shoulder, left eye master eye....and I grasp the forearm with my right hand which rest atop the mat! In this manner I can control the recoil and buck of the rifle to an extent! Long ago I could tell the difference in group size when comparing the two methods and I'd rather fight...than switch! With some rifles/calibers a $1000.00 or more front rest may work....but with the rifles of heavy caliber I came to the conclusion that they didn't work for me with the rifles I was shooting! :x :face: The 2x4 wood pieces will be removed. Those were in place to assist my grandchildren when they were small in resting their rifles but they've grown up and no longer need them! I just haven't removed them yet!

BigAl52 said:
Its hell to get old.
Old ain"t got nothing to do with it!

I was doing things like that in my teens and twenties. I did the ultimate - left the ramrod in the barrel - when I was in my early twenties. For the record, having done both, the recoil with a ramrod is more noticeable than the recoil with an extra ball.

Randy Johnson said:
BigAl52 said:
Its hell to get old.
Old ain"t got nothing to do with it!

I was doing things like that in my teens and twenties. I did the ultimate - left the ramrod in the barrel - when I was in my early twenties. For the record, having done both, the recoil with a ramrod is more noticeable than the recoil with an extra ball.
Sort of like shooting a spear :lol!:

Best thing to have to remove a stuck ball is a good solid SS range rod with a nice handle to wank/tap on!

OSR said:
Dang, your shooting area looks like a park.

Well....it's better than a Park! I live on property my family established here in 1830 after arriving from County Mayo, Ireland! It's somewhat 'in the Boonies'....and I like it this way. I wouldn't survive six weeks having to live in a city! My children and grandchildren grew up here and I've had a big hand in teaching them marksmanship and how to hunt. My roots are here....and one day they'll pat me in the face with a spade here! I have a real range 500 yards north of this site but with the rain we've had I haven't been able to mow the grass and it's still somewhat damp! I use this 100 yard site when I have to. This area has shade trees! It gets H O T here in the summer! :cheers: :Salute: :ttups:
26673240776_301d36ecbb_b.jpg
Untitled by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Im jealous Sharpsman. That's really nice. Id love to have something like that out back. Of course if I did I wouldn't have a wife long and I wouldn't get much done either. Al

I've been blessed in lots of ways....and I know it! God gave me the strength to work hard for 50 years and kept me safe and I'm eternally grateful!! :cheers:

BigAl52 said:
Im jealous Sharpsman. That's really nice. Id love to have something like that out back. Of course if I did I wouldn't have a wife long and I wouldn't get much done either. Al
I already have that problem, my range is only 15 minutes away from my house, I try to get there at least once or twice a week.  Sure beats cutting the grass.

Smokin' Joe said:
What's the matter with using a ball puller.  Works pretty easy and I'm speaking from experience.  I've had to do it on several occasions when I load the ball without any powder.  :D

The one I use is from track of the wolf.  https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?search=ball%20puller
Joe

I had a charge under the ball and I understand the way to 'handle that' but I didn't want to go to that trouble. The situation was that I had one ball atop another so I made certain both were 'bottomed out'.....and after pointing the rifle downrange....lit the flint!! Would make a GOOD bear load!! :affraid: :Red tup:

Back