Success with PR Bullets? Most popular version?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieHunter

Reaction score
Just curious if any of you have experimented with PR bullets, and which of them performed the best in your guns?

I have shot the DeadCenter but wasn't impressed with accuracy or performace. Don't really like pure lead bullets cause they won't shoot through. I want two holes for a good blood trail.

I found the DC 260gr. to be very accurate when pushed by 43 to 45 grains of AA5744 in my Savage.
I have only used this load on 1 deer and got a ribcage pass through. This was a close range shot, not more than 30 yards. The 130 pound doe went a couple of steps and dropped. I cannot say what the result would have been had I hit the shoulder bone. It was devastating in the chest cavity. I moved on to XTP's and Barnes ML bullets because I wanted to try a little more speed. The PR bullets are not cheap to shoot and and must be handled with more care than jacketed bullets so as not to deform them. This also pushed me to try other projectiles.
I would suggest you try a small pack and see what results you get.

You probably wont find a better performing bullet then a lead bullet on Deer sized game. I have shot many Deer with jacketed bullets and lead bullets. I should also add copper bullets by Barnes. The closest i can find to lead performance has been the XTP'S.

50/44 300grn, and 50/40 220grn DeadCenters, have been proven zero step Deer killers for me. As stated above, lead bullets you do need to protect them. RW turned me on to the XTP'S and i could not be more excited about a bullet. DeadCenter results with a jacketed pistol bullet. No need to worry about hurting a jacketed XTP. Throw them in your pocket if you choose.

When you compare cost,accuracy and performance. The XTP is the winner buy far over DeadCenters and Barnes bullets. The short black mmp sabot is the sabot of choice for my .50cal inlines.

When you compare cost,accuracy and performance. The XTP is the winner buy far over DeadCenters and Barnes bullets

Not by a long shot, er I mean, not if you are taking long shots. :lol:

If that is the max range, then I would agree there is little sense in spending the extra money on the Barnes. For a 150 yd and under load I plan on working some more with Chucks load of 35 gr VV N110 and the 250 xtp. Once I get my project gun done.

Grouse said:
Rifleman said:
not if you are taking long shots. :lol:

:lol: :lol: I agree 100% I should of noted all shot's under 150yds.
I have killed many deer out to and including 267 yds with the XTPs.All very dead deer.It is my mission now to tweak every thing I can out of the N120 and XTPs at this point.That of course is subject to change if something proves to be better deer killing fodder! :lol:

I am gonna start calling you Tar-12 the morterman! :lol:

Tar if you and table looter ever started shooting a bullet with a bc higher then .001 you guys would really be dangerous. I can hear it now up at the gas station,

" some guy up by Attica shot a deer at 762 yards in the head on the run in the woods with one of them new fangled Savage muzzleloaders that uses gasoline instead of powder, and thats nuttin, his crazy kid busted one right through the ear with that same gun at 500 yard, in a fog so thick you couldn't even see more then 20 feet. "

That cracks me up Dwight! :lol: :lol: I am not stuck on the XTPs,but up to this point I have been working on loads that are identical in every way so as to make it easier on ole Dad when it comes time to roll some up for me and Looter.I am on the verge of having tried everything possible with the 300grn XTP that I want to try.Barnes originals are next on the list. Looter has become very proficient at 100 yds with his Savage.It is about time for him to "Graduate" on to bigger and better things! I have not pushed or rushed him into anything and his shooting skills are improving nicely!We had a 100 yd shoot out yesterday with the .22s! What a blast! Clay pigeons flying everywhere! I had to resort to trickery and empty his gun when he was down range to ensure I got a jump on him! I was surprised he did not remember that trick from the last time!! He has a little CZ Scout, that little dude will flat shoot!

Latest posts

Back