Success

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 70

Reaction score
I got lucky November 24, 2006 (after over 100 hours in the stand) and shot a buck. He provided a 20 yard broadside shot and the archery gods were smiling as my arrow sliced through his heart. I had posted my Iowa early muzzleloader buck in the muzzleloader success forum early this year. Now, it's back out with the Savage ML10II for Iowa's shotgun season this weekend. Hopefully, I'll get another crack at the big boy I jumped during early muzzle when all I had in my pockets were doe tags.
bowbuck.jpg

DSCF1158.jpg

Congrats and nice shot!

I am certain that must be part MOOSE! :shock: You Iowa boys sure post some absolute bruisers!! WOW! :prayer: :yeah:

Yup, that wound would do him in :wink: . Nice going.

Doohan said:
You Iowa boys sure post some absolute bruisers!! WOW! :prayer: :yeah:

Yeah, we get mistaken for Ohio all the time! :wink:

I gotta edit so that somebody doesn't take that statement the wrong way: I mean that as a compliment! How about the Rex buck, then I've seen the Amish crossbow buck from this year and numerous other huge slob non-typicals. Ohio hunters seem to be doing pretty well, too.

Lol... ( no offense taken! ) :D

yeah, I've READ about those too! :lol: 8) We have big bodied deer up here some nice racks from time to time. I just started bow hunting so I think my chances at a magilla are getting much better!

Most of that stuff you are talking about happens in Southern Ohio. At least south/south east of Columbus.

Good luck with your MZ and keep us posted! :drool: I'll be rooting for you guys!

JJ, you are such a gentleman.....

We Iowa guys just have it lucky I guess. Your Magilla is waiting for next years arrow for sure! You were every fortunate to harvest that nice buck in your first year bowhunting. As for next year....I'm pullin' for ya. Remember, we're all in this together!

Randy, great heart shot!! Just tell yourself the WHOLE story over and over. Don't leave out one detail and then you will remember everything you felt years from now. I have done this and when I'm feeling down and in the mully grubs, because I haven't seen a blessed thing all day, I relive those moments and feelings right there in my stand. Does this sound too philosophical?

Oh well better quit while I'm ahead. :oops:

Again, congrats on the great buck!!!!!!!!

Spitpatch said:
Randy, great heart shot!! Just tell yourself the WHOLE story over and over. Don't leave out one detail and then you will remember everything you felt years from now. I have done this and when I'm feeling down and in the mully grubs, because I haven't seen a blessed thing all day, I relive those moments and feelings right there in my stand. Does this sound too philosophical?

I kept a hunting journal this year so every hunt and every detail is recorded. I figure it will be a good resource for the future (besides being a fun read). I should run some statistics on it, hours spent, deer spotted, deer per hour, buck to doe ratio, etc. Probably more time than it would be worth, though. And if it fell into the wrong hands...... :cry: LOL

Good luck hunting to all!

Congrats

Great deer, Great shot! Being from south east Ohio we have it pretty good for deer hunting/quality, but I'd gladly give up a week in November to try my luck on some Iowa giants. There were several 180 class deer killed in my area this year, I'll see if I can get my hands on them and post them. Once again congrats and great job!

Outstanding deer. I came across your post as I was psyching myself up for the upcoming season. The photo of that bruiser did the trick. I can't wait!

Back