Successful hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CO_MTNman

Reaction score
I was successful today on my very first traditional muzzleloader hunt! I took a nice white fallow doe at 40 yards with my .50 cal Kentucky muzzleloader that I built myself with a patched round ball and 70 grains of 2fg. The ball lodged in the far side of the hide, i took out the bottom of the heart and she only ran 15 feet before expiration. I was really excited to have a muzzleloader that I had built myself on a spot and stalk hunt in Texas.
6128310.jpg

CO_MTNman said:
I was successful today on my very first traditional muzzleloader hunt! I took a nice white fallow doe at 40 yards with my .50 cal Kentucky muzzleloader that I built myself with a patched round ball and 70 grains of 2fg. The ball lodged in the far side of the hide, i took out the bottom of the heart and she only ran 15 feet before expiration. I was really excited to have a muzzleloader that I had built myself on a spot and stalk hunt in Texas.
6128310.jpg
Congrats buddy, BEAUTIFUL animal. Great rifle. You should be proud.
God bless:
Stoney

It was just a day hunt. It started out a aoudad ewe hunt and it looked like it would be a slam dunk as we pulled up to be dropped off on a ridge top there was a herd of about 30 aoudad on the exact spot we were going to sit and as they spooked off it looked promising, as we where sitting we could hear the sheep running around the canyon behind us but they would never get close enough to spot in the thick brush. About 3 hours passed and we decided to make it happen on our own terms and took chase but never could close my 100 yard handicap due to it being my 1st hunt with blackpowder so my buddy took a ewe at 165 with his suppressed 6.5x284 and she dropped like a ton of bricks. So long story short we never could get on the aoudad so the outfitter who really wanted me to get my first animal with my new rifle I had built so he offered that I could harvest either a fallow doe or a managment sitka buck that was 5 years old and was only a 2x2 but no sooner did he say that the buck stood up from his bed on the edge of the field and take off into the brush. We slowly moved to within 50 yards of the feeding doe and no sooner had I raised my rifle she took off into the brush and I took chase but to no avail, the two of us played cat and mouse for 4 hours until I decided to head back to the truck and after hearing the tale the outfitter took my buddy and myself around the normal stopping grounds for the fallow once again to no avail so we headed back to the lodge for some food and to pick up my dad and my brother to make a new game plan. We decided to all hunt together to enjoy each others company and to spend time together more eyes are better in this terrain. No sooner had we entered the same area as before we spotted the doe in her bed in the thick brush on the edge of a field and the wind was just perfect so the outfitter dropped me off out of sight from the doe and he continued along the road keeping the attention of the weary doe until I had closed the gap to within 40 yards my best estimate, I then found a shooting window no larger than the size of a basketball and I decided it was now or never so I raised the Kentucky rifle I built ( i am very proud of this rifle if you couldn't tell) and settled the bead on the elbow pocket that's just perfect for a low heart shot and touched off the round but was lost from visual confirmation due the cloud of blackpowder but i could hear the doe scamper off deeper into the brush and crash 5 seconds later and then i could hear the celebration coming from my dad, brother, best friend and the outfitter and they made their way back to me and I took up the spoor and found the doe in her final resting place no more than 15 feet where I took my shot. I am so very pleased with the performance of my patched round ball and I am afraid I have only added gasoline to a new fire that is hunting with traditional black powder

Back