Suggestions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vern

Reaction score
Thinking about new bolt action centerfire for deer and varmints.Any manufacturer better and caliber?

There are so many gun makers now that make a really high quality rifle, its hard to say, this is better then that. And of course price deals into this whole picture.

I personally always like a Ruger for a bolt action rifle. After Ruger, it was a Remington 700. But my friend always sore that Winchester Model 70 was the best bolt rifle ever made.. It comes down to .. what you like.

I like my remington 700ML so am partial to the 700 but also like my 10/22 Ruger also.Love your posts on the sig sauer also.

Dollar for dollar it is hard to beat some of Savages new riflers like the Edge an the Axis . But myself I like the feel of the Remington line of rifles.

One of my hunting buddys has a Axis in a 7mm-08 and that thing will flat out shoot.

How much $$ & where you you live & hunt? My main deer gun for years was a Model 70 in 308, then a Browning A-Bolt in 308. Now I use a Model 7 'Predator' in 243 or my A-Bolt Micro Medallion in 284 Winchester.

I have 2 Sako's in 243 that I couldn't pass up, a 75 & a 1966 Forester, both about 'as-new' condition. I've never even shot either of them.

If your budget is a little tight nothing wrong with a Savage. Nothing wrong with a 243, especially down South. I have hunted MS & GA, the deer weights seem smaller than up north. I wouldn't go above a 308 or maybe a 30-06 if it's mostly for deer hunting.

I see you mentioned 'varmints', if that's coyotes & such I'd lean 243. With my 95 grn partition bullets my 243 works just fine on deer. It's also my favorite coyote round.

If its for varmints and deer, 243 would be my choice. I also like many of the 6.5 offerings like 6.5x55 but its easier to find good 243 hunting ammo. The 243 will also fit in a short action and saves a bit of weight.

Hornady has a new 80gr GMX bullet in 243 that is getting some very good reviews on deer. Its similar to a Barnes bullet but made from guilding metal.

Check out the Tikka T3. Its barely above 6lbs for the T3 Lite and as low as $600. A friend got a T3 Lite fluted SS in 30-06 and i could not believe how light it was with a scope. Bolt was super smooth and the trigger was very very good.

Anyone know about the Ruger American? Checked it out today along with Savage,Remington,Marlin and Mossberg. I think 243 is going to be my choice instead of 30.06. The guy said the remington was junk it was a 770 model not a 700 which he said is impossible to get why I dont know. I liked the Ruger and Savage I still wanna check out the Tikkas and Weatherby but probably will co the cheaper due to the abuse it will get.

Vern, if you want to do a little homework how about seeing what Armslist has to offer in your area, for a FTF buy? Most of the rage right now is handguns & semi-auto rifles, shotguns & deer rifles much less so. You can usually go up a rung or 2 with the quality level looking for slightly used.

You can also que up elitedealseeker.com to look at all the common gun classifieds, use the search function. I just bought a Ruger 4" SP-101 in 357 yesterday from a local guy, FTF cash, hardly used. I don't need much these days in the way of guns, but when a deal is on my lap I get weak in the knees.

Just an idea, after Christmas is the best time to gun shop.

It's tough to beat a remington 700 or model 7. T/C came out with a bolt gun called an ICON. It was supposed to be the "be all- end all" of bolt actions. By the shape of it I'd gues the action is investment cast like a Ruger. I also say 30yrs from now no one will know or remember what an Icon is. I've never lost one cent on any Remington I ever sold. And 30 years from now when the Remington 700 is 80 years old most will still know what one is. Your choice of the .243 is a sound one. Most owners of .243's can shoot one well. The same cannot be said of .30calibers. It takes a lot of practice to shoot a .30/06 the way it was intened to be shot. There's more value in a Remington than other brands. Meaning if you have to sell it you won't lose. Good luck with your choice.

Thanks to all replys. I got my hands on the tikka t3 today and the 700 at the same time.Very impressed with the tikka very much so but think I will go with the 700 as soon as I can find one they didnt have it in 243 had it in 30.06 but I am going with the 243.Plus we have a gun show coming up at the end of the month so wanna see what I can find there. Thanks muskrat will check that out.

Back