Swift A-Frame bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Duster

Reaction score
Anyone ever try these out of a ML. My favorite bullet for handloads out of my Weatherby 30-06 was the 180 grain ones. I see they have a 45 caliber handgun one in 260 grains. I just wonder about expansion, the 180 grain ones will knock one heck of a hole on exit on bear and deer from what I have seen first hand.

I have the 240 and 300 grain numbers and they are super accurate at 100 yards. I haven't had the occasion to run one thru a deer yet but its on my list for next season. I'll do the 240 grain out of my Optima pistol over 63 weighed grains of BH209 powder. A green Hornady sabot will hold the bullet. This load with the 240 grain A-frame is a five shot one holer at 50 yards in that pistol.

I have shot both the .429 dia and .452 diameter 300 grainers. Both shot great in my MK-95 with 100gn Pyrodex RS, but I mostly used the .452 version. I took a Large Doe once with one and it it worked great and was not recovered. Then I used one on that Black Bear in my avatar. It rang in at 430lb and I broke its neck with one. Bullet broke the neck and then went down the hide a little. Bear was DRT. Bullet was recovered and is in the pick below. Mushroomed back to the partition in it. They are a great bullet but crazy expensive. Knight sold them at one time in their prepacked stuff. I got a LOT of them when Gander Mountain closed them out. I might have a pack left somewhere.

ud9bcnh.jpg

Was not killed with a swift A-frame but a xtp. Out of my old Knight MK85 carbine. I made a necklace for each kid and grandkid and a couple female friends , even sold a couple to others that just had to have one. All necklace were made with a single claw but the one with 3 on it in the picture for the number of bears I had taken at the time this 350 lb Chocolate one went down.

Nice! Where did you get the Chocolate? I have 2 blacks but would love to get a chocolate or cinnamon, but they are not on the east coast.

ShawnT said:
Nice! Where did you get the Chocolate? I have 2 blacks but would love to get a chocolate or cinnamon, but they are not on the east coast.

Manitoba, Canada. I also have a small blond color phase taken from the same area. Near Swan River/Cowen, Manitoba. On one hunt there with 6 guys we all kill bear and only one was black. My blond, two chocolate, two Cinnamon and the one black on that trip. They say over 50% of the bear in that area are color phase. It is just a waiting game untill the right one shows up seems like.

I've never been to Canada but have always wanted too. Was about 2 miles from the NB/Maine Border once with a buddy but did not make it over the border, once while hunting in Maine. Good thing we sort of forgot to drive over there, just so we could say we had been there. I had forgot at that time my 44mag S&W was under my truck seat. :shock: :d'oh!: My buddy and I had thought about going to either Manitoba or Alberta for bear, but never got it done and now he's no longer with us.

Did you use an MZ or CF?

Thanks,

Back