T/C Black Diamond plug ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yotecallr

Reaction score
I have a Black Diamond rifle that I would like to shoot Blackhorn 209 with but the breech plug design is one that is not recommended. Does anybody have a way around this ? Thanks.

Load it and shoot it.

A couple of folks in this forum have used BH 209 in Black Diamond rifles with no problems. The biggest drawback of the TC plug is the breech area gets pretty dirty. Cleans up with Hoppe's #9.

I have a BD XR .45 and I used regular Winchester 209 primers. Another poster on this forum, Calvin from Rising Sun, MD, also had good results with his BD.

I think a better primer holder could be made for the Black Diamond for use with BH 209, but I don't know if TC is interested.

The big concern with a Black Diamond XR plug is breaking that retaining spring on the plug. When that breaks, that is a real PITA. I've stopped using certain brands of Winchester primers because it broke the spring on them twice. They were NOT the Winchester W209 in the blue carton. They shoot fine. I wonder if the Kleenbore Primers would be hot enough to touch off this new powder?

I wonder if that BD plug does work is because there is technically a nipple that has to funnel that spark. That was a big selling factor for T/C because it threw so much more concentrated flame into the base of the powder charge that fills the breech plug.

Also you say, water is not the way to clean this new powder. I read that somewhere else. Probably on a different post. So you clean this stuff with Hoppies or any other good solvent?

cayuga

on the BH209 side label: Clean with standard Oil-Based Solvents.

Also states it was Engineered for Modern Inline Muzzleloaders with 209 Ignition.Question is How Modern is Modern?

THANKS

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll try some, I really like the rifle, but not as much as my Savage smokeless.

Latest posts

Back