T/C Black Mountain Magnum

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
Today I wanted to suffer...

blackmtmag7-18003.jpg

Thank goodness that one is not real accurate since it sits in the hot sun like I was doing. The ones in the shade said it was only 85? and 84? so take your pick. It was HOT OUT!

The rifle used today is a;

Rifle: Thompson Center Arms Black Mountain Magnum .50 caliber
this rifle does have a DEEP QLA
Ignition is musket cap, traditional, and the caps used were CCI
Powder: Pyrodex RS 100 grains loose & Triple Seven 2f
Projectiles: 300 grain Shockwaves
350 grain Traditions all lead Keith Nose .429 diameter
Harvester crushed rib sabots
Swab: Rusty Duck Black Off
Distance: 50 yards open fiber optic sights

I started out with the Shockwaves. These things were very hard to load. I actually thought about getting some crushed rib sabots. Instead I muscled them down with a range rod. And made sure I swabbed good between shots.

blackmtmag7-18001.jpg

I shot the first two and was surprised it was shooting so high with the 300 grain Shockwaves. So I changed sight pictures and shot the rest of them off. #5 I attribute to Semisane and all his silly rules. Also I hate fiber optic sights on a sunny day.

DSCN1188.jpg

I then used patches and basically swabbed the rifle clean. I then decided to switch over to Triple Seven 2f as the Pyrodex RS was really producing a lot of fouling for some reason. Maybe it was the humidity. I loaded 100 grains of Triple Seven and them big Keith hollow points.

Shot #1 surprised me. The rest of them, although a little high, pleased me for the open sights.

I also shot some 460 grain No Excuses Conicals. The camera battery went dead. Probably heat stroke. But other then the bullets hitting four inches low, they shout about the three inch group. Not the best I ever did with conicals. I was shooting 70 grains of the Triple Seven. Still were they hunting accurate at that range... sure were.

50 yards is not that far, but I am finding more and more that with open sights I just can not shoot the distances like I used to. I could blame the poor shooting at long distances on the rifle or load, but in all honesty, I think it is me.

Back