T/C Encore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyencore

Reaction score
It's hard to post after seeing Carlos' 300 yard groups but for information's sake, I'm gonna throw a couple of 100 yard groups up here. After selling my Apex that really liked 110 grains charges of BH209, I decided to try it in the Encore. She was inconsistent, averaging 1 1/2" groups on Sat. Here is a 5 shot group target. 110 gr BH, 250 grain SST, Win 209 primers, Five minutes between shots.
golf044.jpg

Not happy with the 110, I dropped down to 100 grains. 3 shot group 100 yards. Disregard the 17 hmr hole.

Untitled.jpg

I'm feeling pretty good about my set up right now. I hope when I replace the SST with a 250 gr Barnes, she shoots as well. I know the SST is .452 while the Barnes is .451. We will see.......

I would be feeling pretty good about that too. I'm not feeling good though because now I know what I have to shoot for with the Triumph this week...I think I am going to have to count that 17 hmr hole so I have a chance.

I posted my findings especially for you pal. I shot the 110 gr load 12 times and it was not grouping well. 100 gr woke the Encore up. Might be a good starting point for the New Triumph. Let me know how she shoots. I gotta know what I'm against.

Yeah I'm going to take some 100 grain and 110 charges out to see. I don't think you got much to worry about though.

Tony

Man I have to say that both groups are pritty dang good , But looks like 100gr. is your majic number on your Encore. That 100yd 100gr group is Awesome :cheers:

Thanks QuickSilver. I guess every gun has their load that they like. I did notice that the 110 did shoot quite a bit higher probably due to the increased speed. I need to do some long range shooting to see if my drop matches my CDS scope dial on the Leupold.
Chad, I've seen your range reports. You've always been able to stack them. It may take a little range time, but you and I both know your Triumph is one heck of a gun. It's just a matter of time before you find your pet load. Just don't lay it down in the woods, you may never find it! :D

Lol yeah I may have to put some fluorescent tape on it. What did you have your CDS dial made for I don't remember? I'm planning on making my dial after this hunting season is over. I want to shoot the 290 grain TEZ's and maybe the 290 grain TMZ before I make one though because of the increase in B.C.

Chad, I had it made up for 250 TEZ's running at 1850 fps with a .210 BC. I'm shooting way high at 200 yds when I dial it in. I called Leupold and they checked the information I gave them. They said my dial should be dead on. Still investigating what part of the equation is at fault. Right now, I have to dial in at 160 to be on at 200. I'm either going to order another dial or shoot slower. :( Maybe even go to a 290...on second thought, they have a flatter trajectory than the 250....I'll figure something out.

The B.C. you have listed for that bullet is higher than what Barnes has listed for it. They have it at .195. And actually the lighter bullet will be a little flatter at first but according to data the heavier and better B.C. bullet retains more energy and carries flatter at longer distances. Either will work of course but I have been playing around with data and that is what I'm coming up with. Hopefully it is somewhat accurate.

Thanks for the info Chad. Max Muzzleloader had the 250 TEZ at .210. I should have went straight to the source and looked it up on the Barnes website. I will learn one of these days. But.... if I gave Leupold an elevated BC, wouldn't my bullet hit low instead of high?

I'm not really sure. I also think that Barnes come up with that B.C. shooting a little higher velocity than you have listed too. They have on their chart that comes with the bullet 1955 fps with a 100 grain charge of Triple 7 which would be pretty comparable to velocities of BH209 in my opinion. I would talk to barnes, and if you have access to a chrono run it through there and see what your gun is actually producing.

I think you are on to something. I see where people are getting 1970+ fps with 100 gr BH209 and a 250 Thor. I think my velocity estimate (per Max Muzzleloading) is way off. That explains the dial problem at 200. Thanks Chad.

No problem. I'm no ballistic expert by any stretch of the imagination, just going by some research that smarter people than me have came up with. I'm thinking when I do mine I'm going to run it through a chrono and also do it when the temperature is colder to mimic hunting conditions. I know that Leupold wants an average temperature but I want my velocity readings that I give them to be close to what it will be like during hunting season. I may be going a little overboard but hopefully it will be somewhat close. Keep me posted on your progress with your dial. I think they are perfect for muzzleloaders!

i run my chrono at 15 to 17 feet over an rcbs and with 100gr BH209 the 250 thor runs 1970 on a fouled bore.

The 300s run around 1830 with a 100gr BH209.

Actually if you go to the blackhorn209 website they tested the 300gr thor and have it listed at 1,826 fps with a 100gr charge.

chaded said:
No problem. I'm no ballistic expert by any stretch of the imagination, just going by some research that smarter people than me have came up with. I'm thinking when I do mine I'm going to run it through a chrono and also do it when the temperature is colder to mimic hunting conditions. I know that Leupold wants an average temperature but I want my velocity readings that I give them to be close to what it will be like during hunting season. I may be going a little overboard but hopefully it will be somewhat close. Keep me posted on your progress with your dial. I think they are perfect for muzzleloaders!
That wouldn't work for our mountain hunting in ML season. It could be 80degrees, or 10below. Screwy weather here that keeps us guessing all the time.

Yeah like I said it is probably overboard. Leupold just asks for the average temperature so I'm sure the difference is not noticeable or they wouldn't be popular with long range centerfire guys which the CDS was pretty much set up for. If I can shoot in the fall for example that will probably give me a middle of the road temperature to use for the dial information and would probably be very close no matter when I shot.

When I lived back east I could count on the temp being in a certain range most of the time. It's nuts out here.

It can drop from 70 to 20 in a matter of hours. I remember one time I put on some sunscreen in the morning, and it was snowing when I walked back to my Jeep. Cripes!

Tony that 100 yard group looks nice. My encore 50 cal likes a little heavier bullet(300gr) and powder 115gr BH. Which sabot did you use? I found the tighter the better without killing my palm. Now my 45 cal likes 100gr of BH.

Jay, I used the Harvester short black sabot. It loads nice and snug. My 100 yard group was shots 15,16 and 17 without swabbing and the bullet/sabot still loaded perfectly. My groups got noticeably tighter when I changed from the low drag hornady sabot to the harvester. The crush rib sabots do load a little easier and still shoot well, but not as well as the short blacks. My Encore likes the 300's as well, but my groups hang around 1 1/4" to 1 1/2 ". My gun will consistently shoot 1" and under with my current load set up. I just hope I can shoot as well with my hunting bullet (Barnes). Good luck with your TC.

Tony, that is some great shooting and both groups are great. One thin you have to keep in mind is that each bullet will shoot different with different charges and sabots. I found out the the SST'S shot better with the Traditons EZ load yellow sabots, and thye load just as easy with 110 gr. of BH 209, and the Barnes will also shoot tighter with the Blue sabots that come with them and the same powder charge. Still those groups are great and Iknow you won't have any problems come hunting season. :D
Carlos

Latest posts

Back