T/C HAWKEN .50

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkFever

Reaction score
I am searching for a source for a T/C peep sight set for my T/C Hawken .50 SN: 22XXXX
I'm afraid my eyesight is catching up to my age and I still want to hunt elk in my home state of Colorado.
Looking for any suggestions on a peep set-up.
Thanks in advance,
MikeW

This is what I have on my TC Renegades. The Lyman 57SML rear peep sight. They fit the TC Hawkens as well.
I replaced my front sights with green .04 fiber optic sights.
I am good out to 200 yds with this set up.
View attachment 29198
The Lyman 57 SML is a great sight, but either all retail outlets are out of them or Lyman doesn't make them any more. The same thing with their 17Axx globe front sights. Pedersoli is no longer making their rifles, so I have no idea what is going on. I've tried to contact Lyman, but to no avail.

Skinner Sights LLC makes some really nice rugged, hunting peep sights. Skinner makes one for the TC Renegade at this page (Thompson Center) which will fit the holes drilled for the factory Renegade sight. I have one that I'm going to have custom mounted as close to my eye as possible for hunting use.

I also have a Skinner peep on my Henry 45-70.... and my 65 year-old eyes like it very much.

Are the Skinner sights adjustable for windage and elevation? Also for the Renegade, it looks like the sight is far away. I assume you can see through it easily?

Will it work with the front sight that comes with the Renegade? I'd really prefer to replace it with a Green Fiber Optic sight. I Just need to figure out what size to get.

Are the Skinner sights adjustable for windage and elevation? Also for the Renegade, it looks like the sight is far away. I assume you can see through it easily?
Yup - the Skinner sights are adjustable for windage and elevation. The base of the sight is screwed to the rifle. The base has a dovetail slot, and the aperature holder is mounted on a dovetail which fits into the slotted base. To adjust windage, you loosen a set screw and move the dovetail left or right. The bottom of the aperature holder is threaded, and it screws into the male dovetail. To adjust elevation, you loosen a set screw and turn the aperature holder to raise or lower it. The finest elevation adjustment is therefore 1/2 of a turn. The thread looks like a 10-32, so 1/2 turn moves the sight about .015 inches, which is a pretty fine adjustment.

The aperatures screw into the aperature holder. Skinner sells aperatures from .040" to .155" ($11), and if you want something even bigger, you can take the aperature out and just use the aperature holder. With the sight mounted in the factory holes on my Renegade, I find the .125 aperature that came with the Skinner sight to be useable, but a little small. I bought a .155 aperature to go with it, but for hunting, I would probably just use the aperature holder if I was going to mount the Skinner sight in the factory holes.

My preference is to have peep sights mounted as close to my eye as possible. Tang sights for the Renegade are now very hard to find, so I'm going to have the Skinner sight mounted with the back of the sight base even with the back of the barrel. Very easy - just two screw holes to drill and tap - although the holes have to be centered on the barrel and with the correct separation, so you want to have a gunsmith do it unless you have a milling machine and know how to use it.

For hunting, I will use the Skinner as a true ghost ring sight - just the aperature holder. Very fast and easy - you just put the front post on the target and shoot. The beauty of a peep is that if you don't pay any attention to the peep, you eye will naturally line up with the center of the peep, and even with a ghost ring, it's surprisingly accurate, in addition to being the fastest of all iron sights, considerably faster and much more rugged than a conventional telescope, and just as fast as a red dot while being more rugged. That's why the military used ghost ring peeps until very recently. And, for those of us with old eyes, you don't have to see the rear sight at all - just the front sight and target, which is something that even my 65 year-old eyes handle pretty easily, at least with a rifle.

Another advantage of a peep is that it is what's known to optical engineers as a pinhole lense: Everything is at least somewhat sharper when viewed through a peep, which is a great thing for those of us who are on the far side of 50. The smaller the peep, the greater the lense effect, but you get a little advantage even with a ghost ring. With a small enough pinhole, it's possible to build something called a "camera obscura" which has infinite depth of field (meaning that everything is in focus no matter how close or far it is to the pinhole). Only problem with such cameras is that because the pinhole lets in such a small amount of light, it takes a long, long time to expose the film, which makes such cameras impractical for most purposes.

Ive got this one for my Renegade, with target knobs so no tools to adjust it. It can be hard to find in stock sometimes. Very similar to the Lyman SML
Ecommerce
They offer a fire sight set but no pics to tell what color the front fiber is.
https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/e...-firesight-set--cabelas-octagon-hawken-070219
Sights like the Lyman, which mounts on the tang, are probably the most accurate option - at the cost of being a little less rugged and more awkward-looking on the rifle. I've also used the Williams WGRS sights which mount on the barrel, and they are a good option too. Made of aluminum, not nearly as rugged or streamlined on the rifle as the Skinner, and adjustments are less precise, but they work well. To mount one on a Renegade, you probably have to drill and tap the barrel, no matter where you mount it, but lots of current muzzleloaders come with Williams sights of one sort or another, and for these rifles, Williams generally makes a WGRS sight that fits right into the existing holes With all aftermarket sights, there can be a problem with mis-matches between the rear and front sight heights, so you may have to replace both. That can be a BIG pain if the front sight mount on your rifle is something other than a standard dovetail.

I made this skinner sight for my old eyes.
The second pic is how it shoots at 60 yyards with 80 and 100 grains of Pyro.

Have about $7.00 into it. I wanted to keep my sidelock as close to period specific as I could.

View attachment 29220

View attachment 29222
I like the simplicity of your peep. I'm afraid I am not that talented to make one. What did you use for the sight? How did you come up with the design?
Thanks,
MikeW

Sights like the Lyman, which mounts on the tang, are probably the most accurate option - at the cost of being a little less rugged and more awkward-looking on the rifle. I've also used the Williams WGRS sights which mount on the barrel, and they are a good option too. Made of aluminum, not nearly as rugged or streamlined on the rifle as the Skinner, and adjustments are less precise, but they work well. To mount one on a Renegade, you probably have to drill and tap the barrel, no matter where you mount it, but lots of current muzzleloaders come with Williams sights of one sort or another, and for these rifles, Williams generally makes a WGRS sight that fits right into the existing holes With all aftermarket sights, there can be a problem with mis-matches between the rear and front sight heights, so you may have to replace both. That can be a BIG pain if the front sight mount on your rifle is something other than a standard dovetail.
Every gun i have that came with a Williams rear sight got a fiber optic ghost ring added to it. Those things are awesome. I keep a spare around just for the next gun.
https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecommerce/p/firesight-ghost-ring-wgrswgos-070919

Will it work with the front sight that comes with the Renegade? I'd really prefer to replace it with a Green Fiber Optic sight. I Just need to figure out what size to get.
I think the Skinner will probably work with Renegade front sight if you mount the Skinner in the factory rear sight holes, but it will be a little close: When I screw the my Skinner aperature to the lowest position and place it on top of my Renegade barrel, behind the factory sight (which is sighted in), it lines up with the factory sights. It should have a little more adjustment when I mount it at the very rear of the barrel.

I like the simplicity of your peep. I'm afraid I am not that talented to make one. What did you use for the sight? How did you come up with the design?
Thanks,
MikeW
I took an old scrap of metal I found in the barn, cut and grind on it for shape. Drilled the holes and aperture then started the bending to fit. Dont worry, I threw a couple away before I got it right. I left the original rear sight on the barrel for reference. The skinner is too strong to bend on the gun so I removed it and did the bending while in a vice. Kinda slow going but eventually I got it. You can buy stock steel at any farm supply.

Someone here posted a picture of a sight similar to this. If you go through a search for Skinner you will likely find it and better pictures of this sight. I can think of a couple improvements like put the aperture on the end closest to the shooter.

TC New Englander peep sight.jpg
I believe this is a Thompson Center Peep. I bought it back in 2003 or 2004. I do not know if they are still available. Fits my New Englander well. I only had to drill and tap one hole.

Back