T/C Hawken disaster today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a .50 cal T/C Hawken flintlock a few weeks ago as a back up to my .58 Renegade flintlock for use during the PA primitive season. Well it ended up a comedy of miscues - or should I say misfires. After about 8-10 shots I gave up and came home. I got it close but it took a long time. The frizzen was soft and didn't spark well and the liner was an original T/C. I took it home and cleaned it up and replaced the frizzen with a new Lyman frizzen that I had to fit to the lock and I replaced the vent liner with a new RMC one. Installed a new English flint and I'll be ready to for the next trip.
I have to get to the hardware store and get a new can of MAPP gas so I can reharden my frizzens. I have 4 well used ones that need to be hardened.

And if you just wanted to go shoot you couldve taken a 22 or other cartridge gun

But half the fun of front stuffers is all the fiddling you get to do. Just imagine trying to do it 200 years ago .....

That's a bummer Bronko. I know because I've had one or two days like that, or maybe five or six. That RMC liner will fix a big part of the ignition problem.

That's a bummer Bronko. I know because I've had one or two days like that, or maybe five or six. That RMC liner will fix a big part of the ignition problem.
Many of the early T/C flint locks had geometry problems. I was able to obtain a improved cock designed for my Renegade, and it make a huge improvement in ignition.

And if you just wanted to go shoot you couldve taken a 22 or other cartridge gun

But half the fun of front stuffers is all the fiddling you get to do. Just imagine trying to do it 200 years ago .....
Yea but I should have known better. But I've been so busy lately that I didn't even think of checking everything out. But the rifle was in such good shape. These issues were likely the reason the previous owner sold it. My bad which ultimately led to my frustrations. Lesson learned.

Nothing I can think of frustrates like a dinky flint lock. I started my journey with a percussion and quickly got a flintlock longrifle not long after. I shoot flintlocks 98% of the time and nothing beats the thrill of dropping a nice buck with flint and steel.

I also was having problems with my T-C flintlock. It had done okay, but the last time I went tothe range It only went off about 50%. Ordered a Lyman frizzen and filed the shaft down to fit the T-C and now it sparks nicely. Haven't had the chance to go burn powder, though.

I got a .50 cal T/C Hawken flintlock a few weeks ago as a back up to my .58 Renegade flintlock for use during the PA primitive season. Well it ended up a comedy of miscues - or should I say misfires. After about 8-10 shots I gave up and came home. I got it close but it took a long time. The frizzen was soft and didn't spark well and the liner was an original T/C. I took it home and cleaned it up and replaced the frizzen with a new Lyman frizzen that I had to fit to the lock and I replaced the vent liner with a new RMC one. Installed a new English flint and I'll be ready to for the next trip.
I have to get to the hardware store and get a new can of MAPP gas so I can reharden my frizzens. I have 4 well used ones that need to be hardened.
Bronko, If you New Steel the face 1 of those 4 hammers with CS65 or 70 your problems will be over for a few thousand rounds. CS65 &70 are available in Strip form at a lot of Model Engieering shops. I always silver solder mine in place and quench from soldering temprature.

I had my T/C flintlock Hawken out to the range yesterday. Shooting in a monthly postal match.
Had a few clatches at first, change the flint and problem solved. My only issue with mine is the LOP is too short.
I need to do something about that.

I had my T/C flintlock Hawken out to the range yesterday. Shooting in a monthly postal match.
Had a few clatches at first, change the flint and problem solved. My only issue with mine is the LOP is too short.
I need to do something about that.
Try tying on a leather butt sleve with some foam inserts until you get the LOP to where you want it.

Back