T/C Hawkin Rear Sight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4570mike

Reaction score
I just got back into muzzle loading after a 35 year absense. I have a T/C, 50 cal. Hawkins I haven't shot since the early 1980's. I'm looking for a tang mounted rear sight. Had one years ago, but have no idea what happened to it. The rifle has the barrel mounted read sight, but my eyes can no longer focus on that type, but a peep sight works just fine. It appears T/C no longer makes any of this, so if I can't find a T/C sight, I would be open to anything else. Looked around the internet with little luck. Anyone have a thought on this? I'd like a traditional looking sight, not a "receiver" sight like on a modern rifle. Any direction would be appreciated.
Merry Christmas!
Mike.

You can still find the TC peep on ebay, but you'll pay about $150 for one. Everybody knows they're rare now.

I have a TC FO front sight still in the package. It works well with a peep, and has a very small FP bead. Easier to line up.

4570mike said:
I just got back into muzzle loading after a 35 year absense. I have a T/C, 50 cal. Hawkins I haven't shot since the early 1980's. I'm looking for a tang mounted rear sight. Had one years ago, but have no idea what happened to it. The rifle has the barrel mounted read sight, but my eyes can no longer focus on that type, but a peep sight works just fine. It appears T/C no longer makes any of this, so if I can't find a T/C sight, I would be open to anything else. Looked around the internet with little luck. Anyone have a thought on this? I'd like a traditional looking sight, not a "receiver" sight like on a modern rifle. Any direction would be appreciated.
Merry Christmas!
Mike.

I have several of the Lyman 57 SML peeps on my guns. The lyman has some advantages that the TC doesn't. First the Lyman is field adjustable. On my sights I have marks on them in 50 yard increments. So if I have a 50 yard shot I set it for that. If my shot is 150 yards I use the range finder and set the sight for 150. If the shot is 125 I split the difference. I use the range finder get the yardage and set the sight for the yardage. I have shot this way for so long that if I have a 162 yard shot I set it for as close as I can. The more practice you have with it the better you get at setting the yardage.
The Lyman has a button on it that allows you to push it and slide the sight to the spot you want instead of twisting a knob.
Also the lyman peep slider can be removed if you are riding an ATV or a Horse and you think it could get damaged. Take it off and ride when you get to where you are going put it back on and it is sighted in. The peep has a couple different sizes to choose from. If you add a Lyman Globe sight you have the choice of a single pin (that is that I use ) or even a cross hair.
I have mine sighted in for out to 300 yards. I only take first shots out to 150 but if something went wrong I can clean up a bad situation. Here is a video that you might like of mine. https://youtu.be/ibU-5uCuy_I

Back