T/C New Englander 12 ga.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texoma

Reaction score
I was looking for a 12 ga. barrel for my new englander and ended up finding a whole
gun for what some barrels alone go for. :partyman:

It is the non screw in choke version,I plan to shoot some turkeys with.
Does anyone have some super secret wonder loads to share with me?
I'm thinking turkey ranger shot cups and magnum #5 lead shot.

When I was loading my New Englander for Turkey, I used a 3" wad, and an identical wad full of #5 lead shot. All this on 90 grains of Pyrodex RS. I tested it with 70-100 grains and 90 was about as hard as I could push it before the pattern went nuts. Also because of the pattern, I limited this gun to 25 yards. Then I got my hands on a Knight TK2000 and stopped using the New Englander for turkey.

Also be prepared for some serious recoil.

Growing up hunting rabbits and pheasants with new Englander 12s our beat loads were equal amounts of powder to shot. We would use a 1/2" thick cotton was over the powder then 1/8" thick card board piece on top of the cotton then on top of the shot. We used t7 and #5s We got to the point we were shooting rabbits to 50 yards and a 35 yard kill of a flying pheasant were the norm. I can't remember if our groups tight enough to be called turkey loads but our success said they were deadly.

Latest posts

Back