T/C Triumph + T/C Steel Maxima Mount + Nikon Medium QR Rings

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AviD

Reaction score
Hey all first post, starting off with an issue I'm hoping someone can assist with!

I purchased a new T/C Triumph, and had the gunsmith at the local sporting goods store where I purchased the gun mount and boresight the scope on the rings and base mentioned below (which I purchased separately) while I attended to some other things during the day.

I returned in the evening to pick up the gun and was told they could not use the base I provided, indicating it was not possible to bore sight the gun with it and the Nikon rings I provided. The gunsmith said they tried to for over 2 hours, but the scope bottomed out and wouldn't work.

They swapped my steel base for the T/C aluminum base and said it boresighted fine with vertical adjustment still available for sighting in.

I don't understand it. Why would the steel T/C base (camo) not work but the aluminum (blued) did? Is it a tolerance thing? The bases seem identical outside of finish.

Anyone have any ideas? Went to all the trouble to order the base and rings online because this gun shops selection was very limited, only to have to settle for an aluminum base which I did not want.

Nikon Omega APG 3-9x40

Nikon 1" Quick-Release Weaver-Style Rings
Medium
Realtree Hardwoods Green Camo
Manufacturer #: 8183

Thompson Center Maxima 1-Piece Weaver-Style Scope Base
Thompson Center Encore, Omega, Triumph
Realtree Hardwoods Camo
Manufacturer #: 9911

They swapped it out with the T/C Top Mount Scope Base Model #9899

Thats a good one. I dont know unless your gunsmith had some aluminum TC bases he needed to sell. I would have took it home and bore sighted it by eye and fired a shot or two to be sure. I just used TC Gorillas on my Triumph. They have been great so far.

As an FYI, I emailed T/C and am waiting to hear back to verify if the base I selected is wrong for some reason.

Also plan on taking it to a local gunsmith whom I do trust to see if he can determine what, if anything is wrong.

I really don't want to shoot any rounds through it...in case I have to return the gun, although I don't think the gun is an issue.

I'm guessing they didn't mount the base properly, or didn't seat the rings correctly. I just can't see the sub-mm difference in the camo dip making the scope bottom out.

*bump*

Anyone have any issues with the T/C Maxima steel base on their T/C Triumph?

AviD said:
*bump*

Anyone have any issues with the T/C Maxima steel base on their T/C Triumph?
My friend just got his son a T/C Triump Bone Collector,and ran out of adjustment on it also! He used the maxima base,and rings. I don't understand it either? It worked great on my PH,and his to. He used some "shim stock" and got the gun zeroed in for now,but is planning on contacting T/C to see if they have a answer? I just put my wifes BC together for her,and I couldn't get the maxima base/rings( may be a blessing in disguise) from my dealer,so he ordered a Talley one peice base,and rings for it. It went on well,and took very little adjustment to get the gun zeroed. It is more than strong enough for the job. As far as the aluminum base goes,it is strong enough to do the job at hand. Steel just makes you feel a little better (more secure),but it all reality,unless your are beating brush with the gun,the aluminum bases will work fine. Ron

Ron,

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it.
I'm still waiting to hear back from T/C.
I think for now I'll just sight in with the aluminum base for this season.

By any chance, does anyone know of another steel single piece base that comes in camo and will fit the Triumph?

AviD said:
Ron,

By any chance, does anyone know of another steel single piece base that comes in camo and will fit the Triumph?

Not sure if they have a camo base... but have you tried Dura-sight bases?

quigley said:
AviD said:
Ron,

Not sure if they have a camo base... but have you tried Dura-sight bases?

quigley,

They do have one in camo in the Z-2 Alloy.

Seems like the Z-2 is stated as being stronger than alum and around the same price (i.e. not as costly, or as strong, as steel).

I don't plan on beating brush with my ML, but would like to get into longer range shooting with it later down the line and not have to worry about the alum aspect.

Have you ever shot the Z-2 Alloy components on an ML?

DS103R Z-2 Alloy Scope Rail Base - T/C Omega/Encore (Realtree HWDs)

I did have some of the Dura-sight bases and rings on a CVA Kodiak. They seemed to be well made. I did not have any problems with them. They did feel somewhat heavier than Aluminum. Granted I dont shoot a whole lot during the year. Just mainly around hunting season. But I have heard no bad reviews about Dura-sight.

Apex, Z-2 alloy base, Warne QDs, same load. First group shot September 29th (white holes) - second group shot November 5th. Scope had been on and off the rifle about a dozen times during the interim.

mj0oba.jpg

I think the Z-2 bases are just fine but am not crazy about the Dura-sight qd rings. The Warnes are much better (and your Nikons are surely made by Warne).

Back