T/C White mountain carbine

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3dmuzzy

Reaction score
Have not shot this in a long time any one have an favorite loads? powder choice.its a 50 cap lock have some pyrodex on hand but can get another powder.I know from last time round ball did not shoot well.

Those WMC had pretty fast twist. Made for conicals. Try some Maxiballs or Maxihunters if you can find them. Or Plains bullets. Might even try some sabot/bullet combos. For powder start around 70gr of loose Pyrodex or T7 or real black if you can get that.
If you want to shoot those round balls then back down to 50gr and try again, Patch them tight. The twist is too fast for normal round ball loads.

My WMC has a1in20 twist and shoots the 240-250 grn xtp's quite well. It would probably be helpful if you knew your twist rate to give you some ideas what to try. I use ff tripple seven.

Depending on your serial number. The early 50 calibers were 1:20 twist while later ones were 1:38 twist. Both will shoot sabot or conical bullets . the faster twist of course can shoot longer/heavier bullets and you don't necessarily need to use a lot of powder to get the job done.

I bought one of these the first time I saw it advertised in the late 80’s, all I remember is that I tried everything I could find and the only thing that shot reasonably well was a heavy bullet from the Buffalo Bullet Co., aside from that, I also hated the trigger and coarse sights. The only powder I could get locally back then was Pyrodex so maybe something else would have worked better. It’s one of the only guns I’ve ever gotten rid of and every once in a while I consider trying another but so far I’ve resisted it.

Idaholewis wrote a piece on the trigger problem you had with his new englander. I actually used his advice on several of my TC locks.
I followed his prescription and improved the trigger of a single trigger Cherokee and it’s definitely better, but I still prefer the T/C set trigger guns.

Anyone have a good load& bullet for the WMC fast twist and Pyro RS powder? Got some green sabots/ xtps and Powerbelts on hand. Just shooting deer at 50yds. Not looking to get my teeth kicked in or anything crazy

I just got one also recently, but I haven't shot it yet. I have a mold and shoot the T/C Maxi-Balls very well out of my New Englander & Gray Hawk. I'm gonna start with Pyrodex Select RS 70 gr. At 50 yds. this load groups very well. Then maybe I'll bump it up to 80-90 grs. and see what happens. I use CCI #11 Magnum caps. I hope it works well in the White Mt. Carbine I have.

I was able to get down the my land today with just enough time before dark and wanted to fire it a few times. 80gr of RS and a 295gr powerbelt loaded nicely and shot 1-1.5” groups at 60yds. Ran out of time but will probably stick with that load for the remainder of this season and experiment some more later on.

Sounds like you had good results. I'd be happy with that. I have Powerbelts also but have only shot them out of my Omega and Triumph inlines. I'll give it a try also.

Latest posts

Back