T7 Pellets VS Pyrodex Pellets?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rks1949

Reaction score
I have been thinking of picking up some Pyro Pellets. I use T7 pellets. What are the Pro's and Con's comparing the two? I know the Pyor Pellets have a "starter end" Black powder,that must be inserted towards the breech. Also I would guess the Pyro Pellets are "dirtier,than the T7 pellets". Let's hear your choice,and why you like one over the other. Ron

The triple 7 also has the starter powder at one end. Triple 7 is hotter and supposed to be cleaner burning. Triple 7, one the down side, is supposed to leave a crud ring, but patches between shots takes care of that.

I can't see the starter on my 777 pellets?
777Pellets002.jpg
777Pellets001.jpg

When I shot pellets I prefered the Pyrodex over the T7. They seemed to produce more accuracy out of my gun. They were a little cheaper also.

I never heard T7 pellets had a starter end either, but I reckon I could be wrong.

Now you've got me wondering about my memory. I gave mine to my hunting partner and I'm sure I cautioned him about putting the black side down. Now I'm starting to wonder if my hard drive in failing :cry:

RAF said:
Now you've got me wondering about my memory. I gave mine to my hunting partner and I'm sure I cautioned him about putting the black side down. Now I'm starting to wonder if my hard drive in failing :cry:

Stop wondering, it has failed. :wink: There is no black side on the 777 pellets.

Are the Pyrodex Pellets any better? I know they are cheaper,and Iam guessing they burn dirtier? :think:

Underclocked said:
RAF, you just need a good defraggin'. :wink:

Is that going to hurt :shock:

actually when I first bought triple 7 pellets I was looking for the starter that the pyrodex had. There seemed to me, to be a darker area and I assumed that that was the starter.

The Pyrodex is dirtier, but I think it ignites easier. The only misfire I have ever had came when I was shooting 777. You get no crud ring with the pyro, and I use hot primers. I clean the plug and bore with windex and follow with Browning Oil. Cleanup was about the same for me using either, and with the 777 I had to scrub out the plastic left from the sabots. I think if you've been using the 777 and its working you should stick with it, that's why I'm sticking with the Pyro.

I tried the 777 pellets and had mixed results, including some hangfires. I stayed with Pyrodex pellets, which always give me instant ignition and great accuracy.

It may leave more fouling, smell bad when cleaning and possibly be more corrosive when left in a barrel, but I clean mine ASAP after shooting and the smell doesn't bother me. My wife? Different story!

777 VS pyrodex

I have shot many many rounds of both through my optima pro. The pyrodex seems to be a little more consistent for me, less flyers. The pyrodex is a little dirtier but much easier to clean than the brittle crud ring the 777 leaves. I patch between shots so it's really not a big deal either way. I have never had a hang fire or mis fire with either. I get good results with both but pyrodex gets the nod from me just because I don't get the occasional flyer like I do with the 777. From what I can tell 777 only gains me 20-30 fps anyhow not enough to worry about. GL and happy shootin

Latest posts

Back