Tape over your barrel?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maineguide

Reaction score
I am new to the site and I like what I see so far.
I have a question for all that hunt a lot with blackpowder.
I have always been a fare weather hunter with blackpowder. But this year I want to hunt the 2 week season wet and all. Do any of you put tape over the end of your barrel to keep your powder dry?
Thanks for any help.

I personally dont put anything over my muzzle but thats just a personal thing. I always carry the rifle muzzle down in rain/snow but if you were sitting in a tree stand or such, simple tape over the barrel or a finger cot will work perfectly.

I always tuck the frizzen/nipple area of the rifle between my arm and side to keep any wetness off.

The clear plastic wrap with a rubber band also works.

I hunted one day with wet weather. little plastic wrap, and tape. worked great.

still pulled my load after I got back in.

Non lubed condom and a rubber band! I'm serious!
I've got three kids and I don't need them now!

When I used sidelocks and flinters, I would do like FG, try to cover it with your covering. Or just left it in my case til I got to the blind or stand. I had a nice old case that was water proof on the outside overing.

Off Topic....I noticed that when it was raining, I had some of the best hunts especially on public land. Allot of folks would leave to go tothe coffee shops or bars. They made allot of deer move my way.

Jerry

I use finger cots " prophylactics for fingers" Walmart band-aid section..
I have also read somewhere where you can shoot right through them as the air in front of the bullet bursts the latex.
I also use them before I bring the ML inside to keep moisture from condensating in the barrel. Cold air usually has less moisture than warm air
Try them you will like them,
The previous post about prophylactics and elastic bands was an old WW II trick.

Tape

I actually do cover the end of my smokegun... but not with tape. I will take a small square of waxpaper and secure it with a very small rubberband. It is safe and does not affect bullet flight. I keep it on all season to keep rain and whatever out of the barrel. This way I know nothing has accidentally fallen into the barrel.

I cut the fingers off of surgical gloves, stretch one over the end of the barrel and keep the spares in my pocket, been doing this for many years.

:D :cheers: 8) ;)

I use finger cots. Very inexpensive and could be bought at just about any Walgreens. I think there are about 20 or 30 in the little box. They are finger condoms. They are used to put over cuts, burns or scratches on your finger. Works great for keeping moisture out of the barrel also. Only draw back that I've heard is that they tear if you still have your front sight on your barrel. I don't have an issue with that because I have removed my iron sights. Look on the end of my barrel and you can see it. GOOD LUCK :!: :!: :!:
cabin1of09003.jpg

I use electrical tape over mine. Works great. Plus it`s a reminder to me that my gun is still loaded, and not to accidentally load it twice.

rfravel said:
I cut the fingers off of surgical gloves, stretch one over the end of the barrel and keep the spares in my pocket, been doing this for many years.
X2, I dont keep spares in my pocket, but that sounds like a gret idea.

I do about the same as RFRAVEL does. I work in a hospital, so I use the fingers off of our non sterile gloves. Usually don't need to tape or band them- the air rush from expanding gas at ignition blows them off.

nuprofessor said:
I do about the same as RFRAVEL does. I work in a hospital, so I use the fingers off of our non sterile gloves. Usually don't need to tape or band them- the air rush from expanding gas at ignition blows them off.
I BUY THE SMALL ROUND BALLOONS TO PUT OVER MY BARRELL .THEY HOLD THEMSELVES ON WITH THE ELASTIC END.

brownisdown said:
nuprofessor said:
I BUY THE SMALL ROUND BALLOONS TO PUT OVER MY BARRELL .THEY HOLD THEMSELVES ON WITH THE ELASTIC END.
I've heard of guys using small balloons, but always wondered :scratch: whether the rubber material was forgiving enough not to affect the bullet on exit. I guess (don't know for sure) if the blast blows off the muzzle cover first, it probably doesn't make much difference what you use. Lately I've been using "muzzle cots" designed specifically for muzzleloaders. I put one over the muzzle year-round and by the time hunting season rolls around it's pretty much stretched-out to the max.

I previously used 'hockey sock tape' - with an X over the muzzle, then wrapped the barrel to be sure the X didn't peel loose.

On a prior post on this forum, i THINK i recall others saying they detected trajectory changes when they shot thru 'muzzle covers' at the range. I didn't want that to affect hunting shots, so changed my muzzle cover. I now cover the muzzle with 'plasti-wrap' (like the thin clear wrap on grocery-store-meat-packages), then put a wrap of tape around the end of the barrel to hold it in place. The plasti-wrap is so thin, i don't believe it causes any trajectory changes.

In our hunting conditions, i think the muzzle cover is necessary - to keep snow out.

as i mentioned,i put small round balloons over the barrell of my .50 cal optima elite and i have shot deer out to 223yds and 247 yds and no accuracy defect.and they are cheap!!

Back