Barrel cover

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleyriders97

Reaction score
I have an upcoming moose hunt and the forecast is rain and snow for the first 3 days of the hunt. Is putting a piece of electrical tape or small balloon over the end of the barrel a bad thing for accuracy? I don't want water running down the barrel and ruining the powder....any help or suggestions...I'm using Barnes 290 grain T-EZ bullets.

I would think the tape may not stay on when wet .do the balloons

The balloons do because they have an elastic to keep them on.Mine stays on until I shoot the gun.Do not get too bright of a color so it does not spook the deer.

I have an upcoming moose hunt and the forecast is rain and snow for the first 3 days of the hunt. Is putting a piece of electrical tape or small balloon over the end of the barrel a bad thing for accuracy? I don't want water running down the barrel and ruining the powder....any help or suggestions...I'm using Barnes 290 grain T-EZ bullets.
tape the barrel over with a strip of electrician tape. it will blow off from air compressing in front of the bullet,, it works fine with centerfire,, i'm sure a ML will do the same..

tape the barrel over with a strip of electrician tape. it will blow off from air compressing in front of the bullet,, it works fine with centerfire,, i'm sure a ML will do the same..
I use electrical tape and for bad weather I have a gun cover that comes off easy I can’t remember where I got it some outdoor show. It’s waterproof and is great for rainy snowy weather

i'm sure those little black barrel condoms will work fine too,, (those are actually "finger cots"). those are used in health care to cover ones finger when administering a suppository!! works great on guns too evidently.. i would use em if i had em!

I just remembered the cover is from solo hunter on there website. Check them out. They keep the barrel and action out of the weather and come off quick

I was told and have used wax paper with a rubber band on my rifle. The reason is because it breaks when the shot is fired, not stretching causing additional pressure in the barrel. I have some of the muzzle cover rubbers, but have not had a cause to use them.

I was told and have used wax paper with a rubber band on my rifle. The reason is because it breaks when the shot is fired, not stretching causing additional pressure in the barrel. I have some of the muzzle cover rubbers, but have not had a cause to use them.
Tape does , not never did increase pressure on anything I shoot !!! And I hunt long season in rain/snow and kill stuff with black electrical tape 30 + yrs and no leaks (EVER) black powder/ BH 209 no matter/Ed

The latex finger cots muzzle protectors don’t last very long in the brush. If the barrel’s dry when you put tape on it won’t come off. I found a part roll of 2” wide electric tape years ago works better than overlapping

Back