Target Knobs for Lyman 57 SML sight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeeter355

Reaction score
Seeing if anyone added Target Knobs to their Lyman 57 SML rear sight and if they were worth it. Have the sight on a .50 TC Hawken with a GM barrel.

Thanks Skeeter

Welcome to the Forum Skeeter! I was gonna put TK’s on 1 of my MANY Lyman 57s But backed out from doing it, I am Stil thinking of doing it, But only the Elevation. The Lyman has that Push button for Quick Field adjustments, At first i hated that thing, Super hard to push that little button and somewhat awkward to boot. Idahoron Sent me a Picture of how he does his, He cradles the Rifle, Hooks the back of the Hammer with his finger (Big leverage advantage here!) then pushes that button which frees up the Slider. With a little practice one can become quite efficient with it

As for the Windage Knob, I have threatened to pull The Windage TK’s on both of my Williams FP sights and only keep the Elevation, So far i have Not had ANY problems with the Windage knobs, But it doesn’t take much to make a “Click” adjustment, On the windage i prefer to set it, Then Lock it down. Field Elevation Adjustments are where it’s at :yeah:

IdahoLewis

Thanks for the reply and I got your bullets by the way. Will try them hopefully this weekend and let you know. I’m not able to PM now due to limited posts. Do you have the picture IdahoRon sent you on how he manipulates the button? Is he using his support hand to hook the hammer and push the button?

I have the target knobs coming and might try them out. Saw on another forum there’s a C clip that’s challenging to take off and reinstall.

Are you keeping track of clicks on your Williams sight for hunting situations? Or marking your sight like IdahoRon does in 50 yd increments?

Thanks Skeeter

Re: RE: Re: Target Knobs for Lyman 57 SML sight

Skeeter355 said:
IdahoLewis

Thanks for the reply and I got your bullets by the way. Will try them hopefully this weekend and let you know. I’m not able to PM now due to limited posts. Do you have the picture IdahoRon sent you on how he manipulates the button? Is he using his support hand to hook the hammer and push the button?

I have the target knobs coming and might try them out. Saw on another forum there’s a C clip that’s challenging to take off and reinstall.

Are you keeping track of clicks on your Williams sight for hunting situations? Or marking your sight like IdahoRon does in 50 yd increments?

Thanks Skeeter
Target knobs pretty easy to install you'll be ok

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Skeeter355 said:
IdahoLewis

Thanks Skeeter

I don’t have that picture anymore, hopefully Ron see’s this and posts it. The button on the Lyman 57 is STIFF to just try and push it, but using Ron’s technique it really makes it easy to make Quick adjustments in the field :yeah: if Ron doesn’t catch this i will do his technique and post pics of it.

I have so many different rifles, and load combos that Vary largely in bullet weights, and powder charges for each of my Guns that I don’t mark up my sights, But The short answer is i prefer to mark my sights like Ron does on the Rifles/Loads i plan to hunt with. A nice feature about the Lyman 57 is that little removable/replaceable Yardage Plate on the side, A guy could easily fashion up his own plate per Load, I am not sure if you can Buy just the plate from Lyman or Not? But to copy, or make something very similar would be really easy to do. That way you could have a Plate for each Bullet/Load Combo. The Williams does Not have that option, it is a permanent Scale on the Elevator. Most of my Shooting is done from a bench, and 50 to 100 Yards developing loads, I love shooting Groups on Paper targets, I feel it is the only way to really know what my Rifle/load is capable of. I recently started Shooting Steel for fun, But i only plan do that with Proven loads, and probably off shooting sticks Like Ron does to practice for Hunting.

Re: RE: Re: Target Knobs for Lyman 57 SML sight

muzzlestuffer said:

I seen you had target Knobs on a Lyman that you had mounted on a White Rifle, Does the Elevation Target Knob for the Lyman 57 interfere with the Push button “Quick Adjust” feature? I wouldn’t think so? But since i have no experience with TK’s on the Lyman I don’t know?

I believe it replaces the same screw so the button would release it the same way. Brownells has the Target Knobs.

Skeeter

IdahoLewis

Just checked a few of your bullets and they seem undersized in my bore. Still plan to shoot them. I think I need a new micrometer since mine is reading .499 vs .502. I did check with an older one I have and it was reading.501-.502. So my bore is slightly larger.

Skeeter

Skeeter355 said:
IdahoLewis

Just checked a few of your bullets and they seem undersized in my bore. Still plan to shoot them. I think I need a new micrometer since mine is reading .499 vs .502. I did check with an older one I have and it was reading.501-.502. So my bore is slightly larger.

Skeeter

This was a Good test for that, I can assure ya those bullets are right at .502, My sizer Die was a Lee .501 that i opened up Slightly with a 3/8 Rod wrapped in 600 Grit Sandpaper, Then HIGH Mirror polished with 1500 and Flitz Metal polish. You might need a .503 To get the fit you are looking for. But DON’T rule those out that i sent ya!! You might be Surprised when you actually push 1 down the Bore. Those bullets go down my Barrel TIGHT. Like i have always said, Perfect bullet fit comes down to a Per Bore deal, Be it Grease Groove, or Paper Patch. The PP Bullets i sent are finished at .500

A .492-.493 bullet (True PP Diameter bullet) is designed to be wrapped “UP To Bore” The Vast majority of 9# Onion Skin Paper will ad 7-8 Thousands to the Overall bullet diameter, I have 3 Different brands (Full Reams) of the Old 25% Cotton Onion Skin Paper and all 3 measure Right at 0.002 Which will ad 8 Thou to the overall bullet diameter with 2 Wraps, With my Paper a .492 Bullet ends up at .500, I prefer my PP bullets to be in the 3s 4s, .493-.494, If needed i use a “Finish” Sizer at the Top end to get PERFECT Bore fit, i do this “Per Bore” for optimum fit. 499, .500, .501 etc. All i am doing is “Ironing” The Paper. By Doing this i can Adjust Bullet Fit to each particular Rifle. When my Bullets Exit the Bore you will find the Paper jacket 10-15 Feet From the Muzzle

Short list of things i do.

I always use a Flat Faced Jag that i have Made when loading a Bullet with a Meplat, I like to keep the entire bullet as perfect as i can.

I Weigh EVERY SINGLE powder charge out in Weight Grains, For me personally there is NO EXCEPTION here. I want EVERY SINGLE powder charge to be identical. I have 2 really nice Volume measures, But i have NEVER used them. I place my Charges in little Vials. Not only do i feel this Gives me an Accuracy edge, But it’s also more convenient at the Bench than dealing with a Volume measure, My charges are already Weighed and ready to go :yeah:

Swab Good Between Shots! You want to Keep your Bore Consistent. I use Blue Windex and 91% isopropyl Alcohol at about 50/50, It doesn’t matter what you use, Spit, Water, Piss, Whatever you have available, I just prefer the Above. I wet a patch and ring any excess out (Squeeze Between my Bench Towell) Push that down the Bore til it stops at the Breech plug shoulder, i make several short strokes 2-3” at the “Crud Ring” til i can feel it is Broke Down, Then Run a Dry patch, another Dry, Turn that 1 over and Run it back in and out, (I use Cotton T Shirts as patches, You can get a Lifetime supply at most any Second Hand/Thrift Store) I use a Fabric cutter, And a piece of Plexi Glass as my Cutting board, A T Shirt is Converted to a Bag of patches in no time :yeah:

After i have Swabbed good, I cap the Rifle, point it Straight Down and Pop that Cap off. This breaks loose any Crud inside the Fire Channel/Patented Breech, In a Sidelock you will be AMAZED at how much Crud Breaks free from doing this, Use a piece of White paper on the Ground to Catch the Crud if you would like to See. After i pop that Cap straight through i am ready to Reload.

Skeeter355 said:
All sounds good! Now to get out to the range!

Skeeter

A Good bullet lube, and an 1/8” Wool Felt OP Wad are 2 of the MAJOR players in Accuracy with Grease Groove bullets for me. I wish i had thought when i sent you the bullets, i would have throw in a little bottle of my Bullet lube. Did you end up ordering some NASA Lube from Bullshop? If so, That is some REALLY good stuff, I highly recommend it :yeah: Dan of Bullshop is Who explained to me the importance of a Good proven Bullet Lube, and how it can make a HUGE difference in accuracy, I have found what he said to be SPOT on! A thinner Lube has been the clear winner for me, If accuracy is Good, But not Great, Try and thin your Lube down just a tiny bit, Use some Virgin Olive oil to thin a Small amount of Lube and Then Re Shoot that Group, It can make a HUGE difference :yeah:

Yes I did order some NASA lube and did find some Ox-Yoke 1/8 inch OP wads here locally so should be set.

Skeeter

Skeeter355 said:
Yes I did order some NASA lube and did find some Ox-Yoke 1/8 inch OP wads here locally so should be set.

Skeeter

PERFECT!! :yeah:

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Target Knobs for Lyman 57 SML sight

Idaholewis said:
muzzlestuffer said:

I seen you had target Knobs on a Lyman that you had mounted on a White Rifle, Does the Elevation Target Knob for the Lyman 57 interfere with the Push button “Quick Adjust” feature? I wouldn’t think so? But since i have no experience with TK’s on the Lyman I don’t know?
No problem

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Back