What is a great Sight combination for a Renegade with a .54 Green Mountain barrel in 1:70 for PRBs?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is a great Sight combination for a Renegade with a 32", .54 Green Mountain barrel in 1:70 for PRBs? I have 4 Williams FP Hawkens and Lyman globe front sights currently on my Renegades. I wanted to purchase a Lyman 57SML, but Lyman no longer has them made. A Soule is too much of a sight for a RB gun.

Should I purchase another FP Hawken and a Lyman 17AMI (AML) .494 globe front to shoot round balls? My guess is the Lyman 17Axx globes are fading into obscurity like their 57 rear counterparts did.

Also, what Soule type is a great match for the Pedersoli Gibbs .451? I'll stick with the stock one for a season or two, then change it out. c Should I keep the Pedersoli globe front?

Last edited:
I would think that a front globe may be conducive in accuracy when paired with a good rear peep. I cannot see where it could be counter productive other than perhaps longer distance shooting where the globe might cover up part of the target.

What is a great Sight combination for a Renegade with a 32", .54 Green Mountain barrel in 1:70 for PRBs? I have 4 Williams FP Hawkens and Lyman globe front sights currently on my Renegades. I wanted to purchase a Lyman 57SML, but Lyman no longer has them made. A Soule is too much of a sight for a RB gun.

Should I purchase another FP Hawken and a Lyman 17AMI (AML) .494 globe front to shoot round balls? My guess is the Lyman 17Axx globes are fading into obscurity like their 57 rear counterparts did.

Also, what Soule type is a great match for the Pedersoli Gibbs .451? I'll stick with the stock one for a season or two, then change it out. c Should I keep the Pedersoli globe front?
Check out the Lee Shaver Or Buffalo arms Soule sights for the Gibbs. Way better than the stock Pedersoli sight. Make sure to get a Hadley eye cup too. X

My Pedersoli Gibbs wear the stock fronts currently. I’m thinking of replacing them but inertia has so far prevented this. WRT the TC’s I have a couple of the FoolProof sights and like them for that application. Once you find a load for a ball shooter, there’s not much adjustment going on so anything will work. I have one of the TC peep rears and it suits me just fine for a gun like that.

My Pedersoli Gibbs wear the stock fronts currently. I’m thinking of replacing them but inertia has so far prevented this. WRT the TC’s I have a couple of the FoolProof sights and like them for that application. Once you find a load for a ball shooter, there’s not much adjustment going on so anything will work. I have one of the TC peep rears and it suits me just fine for a gun like that.
I originally tried to find a T/C rear sight. None are around in New or NIB. Once in a while I see a used one on eBay or GunBrokers. The price is a lot higher than a FP Hawken. I'll get the Williams FP every time over the T/C at that price.

I would think that a front globe may be conducive in accuracy when paired with a good rear peep. I cannot see where it could be counter productive other than perhaps longer distance shooting where the globe might cover up part of the target.
What would you use in long distance shooting?

What would you use in long distance shooting?
I'm sure it will depend on each persons eyesight. Personally, with my vision I prefer a finer front bead with a peep on the rear. In fact, after my range session today, I may be faced with another conundrum with matching mine up on my New Englander. Hope to find out more tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back